coolant filter for the 6.0

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Doctor said:
Please forgive my asking as I defer to your experience and observations.

I am at a loss as to why a coolant system filter is necessary. What is the reason behind filtering the coolant and what are the benefits.

No matter what International does (at the PSD price point), when they clean the raw casting for a PSD block, they can't remove every single little bit of sand (casting medium) from the block. Over time, that sand circulates in the cooling system and eats away at water pump seals, hoses, etc... and the coolant filter will remove that sediment (and the SCA sediment for those who use SCA) from the coolant and prolong water pump life.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Ford Doc
I was skeptical about putting one in. However
mine expassion tank was covered in sand looking material.
now after 600 miles or s o its clearing up and I can see the bottom of the expansion tank. So what ever was in there is now caught I hope in the filter.

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
You can also look at it this way and correct me if I'm off, but if you flush your system yearly which someone in arid dusty type places should would this not suffice? Don't get me wrong I'm still looking for a filter to put on my wife, but I haven't found a good enough reason to yet. I just installed the Amsoil bypass and love it, a coolant filter is on the list, but may not happen because I flush everything annually and I live in SoCal.. As a former ASE mech I became anal over preventitive maintenance and as you can see still preach it. One more thing, I recently sold my 96 PSD crew 2x4 with 164K and with my maintenance rigor never had any issues with build up in any fluids. Before you go beat'n up on me remember these are only my opinions.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I'll bet your wife won't like that!!! Does she take "with suppliments" or "without suppliments" ???

Dave :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
( DavidJ writes, Don't get me wrong I'm still looking for a filter to put on my wife, )
David, does your wife know you are out looking for a filter to put on her?:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
WD40 said:
( DavidJ writes, Don't get me wrong I'm still looking for a filter to put on my wife, )
David, does your wife know you are out looking for a filter to put on her?:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

I saw a BS and Nagging filter, model 2.0
it comes with an upgrade to filter 2.8 which inlcudes the " honey get off the couch " filter and the " is that racing on again " filter
complete with "i love you" and " here is another beer " additives

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Robert, Is the location shown in your install the only place to mount the bypass filter? I'm running an oil-bypass filter mounted off a bracket on the alternator; the oil bypass filter takes up the space where this coolant filter would go.

powerboatr said:
Coolant filter install

Anyway to the fun part, the truck was cold and so were the outside temps 47F, but warming up. I assembled all the goodies like Teflon tape, washers, and tools.
The first order of business was installing the filter head mount. It is straight forward and attaches in two places.
The first is (all references to sides are if your sitting in the drivers seat) the right side upper intercooler support. Loosen it up about 5 turns, no need to remove the battery cable plastic bracket on power cable to cooler bracket. The filer bracket has a notch in it to slide up under the big rubber bushing, be careful not to cut the bushing, push it up enough to align the lower mount hole with the large hole in the lower part of the cooler bracket.
Now insert the long bolt, with self supplied washer, into the lower mount hole and secure with nut and supplied washer.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track