Coolant filter ???

Scot

;()
Reaction score
So I added the coolant filter my signature & installed it just like the instructions said. tapping into the supply between the radiator and the resevoir & returning to a larger line near the oil fill neck. Here's my thinking for better or worse: :dizzy I don't understand how this can be removing decent sized particles from the coolant. It just seems that anything large enough to damage the waterpump, egr cooler or whatever would be sitting at the low points of the system. Like at the bottom of the radiator. Maybe I'm not understanding the system but with such a large radiator and the inlet on one end wouldn't the debris just settle on the oposite end of the radiator. Wouldn't the flow of the system need to be massive to scoop up the particles, send them to the top of the radiator, through a 3/8" hose to a 3/8" "T" where some of the fluid flow diverts to the coolant filter.

Would the system work if the supply came from the drain on the bottom of the radiator?

Am I making any sense??? :dunno
Thoughts???

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Most of the particles are small sand like things, and wear stuff out over time by having a sandpaper effect and slowly wearing down components, they should get caught fairly easy in your coolant filter.

Think about the amount of flow your water pump creates at wide open throttle, it'd flow rate is directly proportional to the enigine's RPM, if you've got something big enough that the flow won't move it, then you've got bigger things to worry about.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Think about the amount of flow your water pump creates at wide open throttle, it'd flow rate is directly proportional to the enigine's RPM, if you've got something big enough that the flow won't move it, then you've got bigger things to worry about.

I tried thinking about that but didn't know what the flow rate was. I found the following on the 6.4 which leads me to beleive the rate for the 6.0 is 75 GPM. I can visualize that amount now and it makes sense that nothing has a chance to settle anywhere & everything would be caught in the torrent of coolant. Thanks for the input! Makes me laugh at myself for overthinking things. (Thanks DAD!) I had no problem visualizing the oil bypass filter working because particles would stay suspended in oil.

"The Super Duty cooling system has been designed to handle extremes. Engineers based the system tests on the F-550 chassis cab’s pulling gate of 33,000-pounds, combined weight. Super Duty’s radiator has grown by 33 percent and a larger water pump nearly doubles the coolant flow rate from 75 to 140 gallons per minute."

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not so much about catching the BIG stuff...its the LITTLE stuff
(sand & stop leak) that eventually BUILD UP and COLLECT in the
passages of say...the oil cooler.

watch your coolant degas "tank"...itll clear up in a few days because
its FILTERED all the crud thats been either sitting at the bottom of
the degas tank or floating in the coolant (and clouding the coolant).

if you THINK theres big stuff in your system then pull the bottom
radiator hose, drain & FLUSH your entire system (use distilled water
to avoid introduction of minerals & deposits that are in your "tap" water
back into the cooling system).

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same type of stuff as scot was, this does clear it up. I think a coolant filter is on my short list now.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you change the filters for the first, second and third time, cut the old ones open and take a look at how much casting sand, scale and other garbage the filters HAVE captured. You wont believe yer eyes, and yul kick yerself for wasteing Brain Time questioning the benifit and effectiveness.

It's a Long Term benifit thing..... fer sure

;):)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well yer thinkin backwards somewhat too the large hose you tapped is the feed line from the heater core. The small line is the the return to the system.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
So.... As you will read above I questioned the coolant filter. My thinking was, "what could possibly be flowing through the system" "how can this thing get enough flow to do any good"

Well When I was changing the oil yesterday (after driving 30 miles) I touched the coolant filter and it wasn't even warm, let alone hot. (no flow through filter) Not only was there debris flowing through the system - but it actually clogged the filter :eek::eek::eek:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.... As you will read above I questioned the coolant filter. My thinking was, "what could possibly be flowing through the system" "how can this thing get enough flow to do any good"

Well When I was changing the oil yesterday (after driving 30 miles) I touched the coolant filter and it wasn't even warm, let alone hot. (no flow through filter) Not only was there debris flowing through the system - but it actually clogged the filter :eek::eek::eek:

did you happen to save the filter and cut it open to see what it caught? if so then you know you must post some pictures. I installed a coolant filter as well but mine is still hot to the touch so I haven't changed it yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14