Coolant Leak...Can't Find Source

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just saw a couple of drops of coolant under the front of the truck....got the flashlight out and found there was coolant drops on what looks like fuel lines. These fuel lines are located DIRECTLY next to the driver side negative battery connection to the front of the block.

All coolant hoses look good. T-Stat housing is dry...NEW waterpump only has about 6k miles on it. My worry is the driver side HG is blown (but there is nothing I recall doing that should have blown it).

I checked the fuel filter can and there is only diesel in it....Checked the coolant degas bottle and the level is still the same and no oil/fuel looks to be present in it.

HELP! I'm having visions of my engine out of my truck Mad

-Casey

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the hoses at the top and bottom @ the radiatior & block....
ive never seen a blow headgasket leak outside the engine...typically
they leak into the oil or cylinder.

check the dipstick for water and check the tail pipe for steam if you
think youve blown a head gasket.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
NEW waterpump only has about 6k miles on it. My worry is the driver side HG is blown (but there is nothing I recall doing that should have blown it).

You really gotta screw up to blow a HG on the 7.3L, I'd be surprised if that were the case. It does appear that there has been recent cooling system work done however, I'd clean everything up good under the hood and see where the coolant appears or if it appears.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Run your fingers underneath the top radiator hose clamp. See if its wet.

Tbar

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing regarding the HG blowing...I can't imagine that with what I have on the truck I would have blown one. I am going to check the cooler in the morning to make sure its not the culprit...The drops I found on the fuel line are FORWARD of the cooler though...They are hanging off the fuel lines where they are literally almost touching the negative battery cable connection where it bolts to the front of the block.

One guy on another forum suggested a pin hole spraying somewhere...I SURE HOPE NOT!

I also checked the oil earlier tonight and found NO signs of foreign fluid in it...

Thanks for all the suggestions...KEEP EM COMIN! :)

-Casey

dpantazis

Reaction score
you may not find anything with the engine off.

try to look for leaks with it running.

watch your fingers and nose though, that fan blade is big and it moves FAST.

you might be getting a leak down below and the air from the fan may be flinging the coolant all over.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
you may not find anything with the engine off.

try to look for leaks with it running.

watch your fingers and nose though, that fan blade is big and it moves FAST.

you might be getting a leak down below and the air from the fan may be flinging the coolant all over.

That a good idea...Although the "wet area" seems to be pretty localized...I'll check again in the morning and see what I can find with the engine running...Just have to remember where I put my ear plugs ;) lol

Thanks,
Casey

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I had a leak a month ago. I ended up having to remove the fan so the coolant would stay where it was leaking instead of blowing to another location and confusing me. Mine ended up being a leak on the back side of the thermostat housing but the fan was blowing it up the wire-loom that runs back there and depositing it in the valley. The fan is like a tornado and does a good job of relocating stray liquids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14