Coolant loss

BlackBioBurner

Full Size Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here.
My rig was blowing out tons of white smoke at idle and when there was back pressure on the engine, but not when the turbo was kicking in. It smelled like burning coolant so I checked the level, and it was way low. After refilling coolant the problem got worse. I took it into ford service and they said it has a blown head gasket and bad EGR cooler. I asked what could have caused this to happen since I just bought the truck and had less than 20 miles on it. They said the problem was a direct result of the previous owner using a performance chip.
Bummer eh.
Chris

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your cooling problems, Chris.:welcome :welcome3 :welcome2 to Super Duty Diesel. You will get your truck fixed and then you will enjoy this forum much more.

Dave :)

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be headed back to talk to your salesperson or local magistrate over this one... sounds like you got taken for a ride, and didn't get kissed when it was over.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
I check at every stop today for puking and none to be seen which makes me happy lol. I will have to watch, it seems like the usage has gone down.

Cheers
Jeff

wcsmithiii0911

3Strike
Reaction score
White smoke

From what I am seeing here this is a known problem. Just last week my '04 250 did the same thing. Have had the truck just over a year and now have 117k and it is in the shop in Hattisburg waiting for them to find the time to work on it. There were no prior indications except for the minor loss of coolant with no indications of where it was going. Personal advise? Get it to a dealer so there is a record of the problem then, when it goes completely out they (FORD) will have to eat it. Again this sounds like a known problem that the manufacturer is ducking.

BlackBioBurner

Full Size Newbie
Reaction score
Probably known

Yeah, I'd agree that this is probably a known problem. When they checked my truck's history they told me the head gaskets had blown at 16k and were replaced. They are still replacing them under warranty again at 39k, without protest at all. I am good to my trucks and pretty light footed in the driver seat. So if I have any future problems it will be evident that it is a design problem.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Well its going to ford for the coolant loss. No puking and no white smoke so I have no idea. Its also got a fuel leak so they can check out the whole thing.

Cheers
Jeff

wcsmithiii0911

3Strike
Reaction score
Update

Just talked to the dealer 'bout mine. It was the EGR Cooler and valve cost right at $2K. I supposedly will be able to pick it and the parts up tomorrow. I'll see what else I can find and possibley add some pictures. Cross your fingers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14