Coolant System Flush

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just recently flushed my coolant system. Could not believe how nasty the stuff was I flushed out of it. Took me a while to get it all done but the system is filled with distilled water and coolant now. I am going to install a coolant filter pretty quickly.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I just did my truck and it was very clean. I have been using a coolant filter since 10,000 miles. They work!!!

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Open the petcock at the bottom of the radiator and let it drain out. You will never get it all out while the block in in the truck. Best you can do is flush it with distilled water and refill. Nice truck Heavyassault.

Dave

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, it's been a work in progress..LOL

Well how do you know you got the mixture right of coolant and water? iI figured you guys tapped the system and flushed it then refilled it per the capacity chart.

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took off the fill bottle and flushed the truck, while it was running, though the fill hose. I cleaned the fill bottle and put it back together. I then drove the truck around, with the heat on, and let the thermostat open. I came back and drained/flushed everything again. Once everything was coming out clean I repeated the process with distilled water. Then I drained the radiator and added coolant. I know this was a long process but I had been having trouble with the heater only heating up when I was accelerating and I wanted it to be right when I finished. It definitely solved the problem with the heat.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinkin of doin my coolant this summer...almost 70k miles on the truck now !!!

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there some sort of plug on the side of the blocks where if you take them out, you can get even more fluid out?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes there are two plugs, but I am just replacing the coolant and not flushing the system. Yours may be different.

Dave :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
What's the trick to getting all the coolant out?

pull the upper hose off the radiator, and stick a hose in the inlet neck...
let the those run and the engine idle...
when the water runs clear out of the radiator hose onto the driveway, start filling the degas bottle with coolant untill the discharge from the hose is green...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14