Coolant temp question

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed recently that my ect temps are rarely getting above the low 180s and at idle falling to as low as 178*. The only thing I've done recently is add a coolant filter would that drop the temps this low. Usually at idle it was in the mid 180s and low 190s when cruising unloaded. :dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Many people run a thermostat that opens at 203°F. This keeps the engine running more efficiently. Diesels like to run hot.

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people run a thermostat that opens at 203°F. This keeps the engine running more efficiently. Diesels like to run hot.

Dave

Ok what does the stock t-stat open at? I guess that's what I'm getting at. I'm trying to determine if it's bad I guess I'll just replace it along with the oil cooler when my egr delete goes on.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The Ford Service DVD does not say what temp the thermostat is, but mine opens close to 190 also. So I would guess it is 185 or 190 degrees.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would like to make clear that the 203° thermostat is for the 7.3 diesel engine. The 6.0 engines do not need, or already have, a hot thermostat. I have not looked at mine.

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford Service DVD does not say what temp the thermostat is, but mine opens close to 190 also. So I would guess it is 185 or 190 degrees.

Dave

From what I was able to find it's start to open at 192* so either my oil cooler is plugged or my thermostat is shot or both. I have heat and I have a new oil cooler ready to go only cost me $155 figured I'd do it with the egr delete anyway's so I guess I'll be buying a thermostat while I'm at it. Now if I can just find a decently priced vinyl carport I'll be ready to do this. Truck doesn't fit through my 7ft garage door and our wonderful fall/winter weather has already hit.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We had a guy who had the same problem fitting into a standard garage door. He bought stock wheels and tires so he could get into the garage. Worked. I'll bet you can find stock rims and junk tires pretty cheap.

Dave:)

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Since its gettin cooler up there you think maybe its because the engine doesnt get as hot cause of outside temps? In the winter my trans temp gauge doesnt even move even when its warmed up. One thing I dont like about my stacks, doesnt fit in the garage anymore unless I want to lower my stacks haha.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a guy who had the same problem fitting into a standard garage door. He bought stock wheels and tires so he could get into the garage. Worked. I'll bet you can find stock rims and junk tires pretty cheap.

Dave:)

Truck didn't fit stock either but thanks for the advice. It would've without the cab lights installed though. I might just take it to a friends shop and haul my commuter over there so I have a way to get home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58