Coolant Temp sender/gauge question

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming home yesterday on I-5 south over the Grapevine, I was towing our
Toy Hauler and midway up my Coolant gauge began to climb fast and leveled
out just below the red "HOT" zone. It never made it all the way to the red,
but was close. I was driving my '02 F350 7.3L and it is stock except for a
coolant filter and 4" turbo back exhaust. I had my foot to the floor at the time, doing about 54mph. I backed out of it alittle and watched but it never
tried to get any hotter and I didn't loose any coolant.
I don't remeber seeing the coolant gauge on my 99 ever read any hotter than
about midway up the gauge. Does this sound typical for the SD trucks? If I have the beginings of a problem, I'd like to head them off early.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my '99, my coolant gauge rarely moved over the 1/2 mark even when towing my 5er up some pretty good grades at altitude. I kept thinking maybe the sender was bad but comments at the time said that was typical of this gauge. I'd recommend getting an auxillary coolant temp gauge to be able to see what's really going on before it's too late. Another great mod for the 7.3 pulling fifth wheel weights is to upgrade the transmission cooler to the one used in the 6.0L. Made a world of difference in mine after I nearly fried my tranny. Hope this helps.

On Edit - I see you do have some pillar gauges, but maybe not a coolant gauge.

Last edited:

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauges are on my to do list.

It occurred to me after my post that I didn't hear the fan clutch kick in, so
I'm headed that direction first. Thanks!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my '99, my coolant gauge rarely moved over the 1/2 mark even when towing my 5er up some pretty good grades at altitude. I kept thinking maybe the sender was bad but comments at the time said that was typical of this gauge. I'd recommend getting an auxillary coolant temp gauge to be able to see what's really going on before it's too late. Another great mod for the 7.3 pulling fifth wheel weights is to upgrade the transmission cooler to the one used in the 6.0L. Made a world of difference in mine after I nearly fried my tranny. Hope this helps.

On Edit - I see you do have some pillar gauges, but maybe not a coolant gauge.

Same on my 2K. I installed a AUX temp guage and can watch the thermostat open & close when pulling our 5r up grades with Realtime temps. The Ford gauge never moves.

somehow I'm thinking fan clutch..

X2 also.

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4 Cents Worth
OK, so I am trying to get this picture. Your truck is a 1999 F-250 4 X 4 7.3 with I am thinking 3.73 gears and you are running RICKSON 19.5" WHEELS, BRIDGESTONE M729F Tires, pulling a big Toy hauler up the Grapevine. You have it on the floor and it's doing all it can do at 54 MPH. You back off of the go paddle and the gage didn't go up any more. You ask, Does this sound typical for the SD trucks?
From what I see in your post about your truck you got one heck of a good pulling truck. I would put on a temp gage and check the fan clutch, but I don't think you have much wrong with your truck.
Ok guys you can have at me. LOL

Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4 Cents Worth
OK, so I am trying to get this picture. Your truck is a 1999 F-250 4 X 4 7.3 with I am thinking 3.73 gears and you are running RICKSON 19.5" WHEELS, BRIDGESTONE M729F Tires, pulling a big Toy hauler up the Grapevine. You have it on the floor and it's doing all it can do at 54 MPH. You back off of the go paddle and the gage didn't go up any more. You ask, Does this sound typical for the SD trucks?
From what I see in your post about your truck you got one heck of a good pulling truck. I would put on a temp gage and check the fan clutch, but I don't think you have much wrong with your truck.
Ok guys you can have at me. LOL

Doug

I waz think'n the same ting Doug. ;tu I got yer Back :lmao:lmao

A REAL temp gauge and take'n a look at the Fan Clutch... is all I'd do too.

54 MPH up a 6%, 5r in tow, is Dam* good.... IMO.

Joe

And git'n these things alittle Hot.. now'n again ain't all that bad either. I know Mine runz better after a Good Hard 5r Pull. Kinda like break'n a good sweat.. now'n then, duz the body good.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I waz think'n the same ting Doug. ;tu I got yer Back :lmao:lmao

A REAL temp gauge and take'n a look at the Fan Clutch... is all I'd do too.

54 MPH up a 6%, 5r in tow, is Dam* good.... IMO.

Joe

And git'n these things alittle Hot.. now'n again ain't all that bad either. I know Mine runz better after a Good Hard 5r Pull. Kinda like break'n a good sweat.. now'n then, duz the body good.

me tooo :coffee
your sig
"1999.5 F250 XLT 4X4, 7.3L, HYPERTECH CHIP,DIY INTAKE, 4"DYNAMAX EXH, ISSPRO EV2 A PILLAR TRIO, FIRESTONE AIR BAGS, RANCHO RS 9000 SHOCKS, RICKSON 19.5" WHEELS, BRIDGESTONE M729"

i see a chip and isspro pillar gauge trio?
are they missing?

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run with a coolant temperature. My understanding is that the computer sets the gauge reading. I have gone to above 240 degrees and my stock gauge never went above 1/2.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58