coolant temp vs oil temp

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
im wondering, trying to be proactive but dont want to waste 240.00 dealer charge to check the oil cooler etc this is what the gauges look like now regularly
photo.jpg

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's about where mine stay all the time, hardly every look at them. There not real.
Doug

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
All of the gauges that come factory are nothing more than glorified idiot lights. At the very least get a Scanguage at Auto Zone. That will really tell you what is going on.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the gauges that come factory are nothing more than glorified idiot lights. At the very least get a Scanguage at Auto Zone. That will really tell you what is going on.

X2, and that's on Any PSD.

On my 2K, the Add-on aftermarket ECT gauge will rise & fall, as the thermostat opens & closes. I've had it up to 220* during hard pulls.. the OEM thing, Never moves off of the "r", in normal. I hardly scan it anymore.

On my 91, IDI, I overheated it once. Steam and Smell was the Only indication. The OEM thing Never moved off of the "r", in Normal.

Not Good, don;t trust'm. :(

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
At the very least you need to purchase an Edge Insight, or some other gauge pack that runs off the OBD port under the dash. This is the only way you will be able to find out what the PCM is seeing for Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) and Engine Oil Temp (EOT). The dash gauges are worthless for diagnosing this problem. The gauges you showed are Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT, top gauge) and Engine Coolant Temp.

Be aware that once you have an Insight, Scangauge, or other type of OBD scan tool/gauge display you will need to drive the truck unloaded (with an empty bed, not pulling a trailer) at highway speeds for at least 15 to 20 minutes to get the engine up to operating temperature, then you need to find a flat stretch of highway where you can set the cruise at 60-65 mph and keep it there for 20 minutes or so, which allows all the engine temps to stabilize. Your ECT / EOT delta (temperature differential) should be no more than 15* farenheit. The best time of year to test this is in the summer when your delta will be the highest, but if your oil cooler is already plugged then your temps will be high even during winter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58