Coolant; type and amount

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok was in Utah last weekend and saw antifreeze leeking from the front and center of my engine. So on Monday I stopped at Ford and dumped a couple hundered bucks on a new pump and thermostat. Las night I got a wild hair at 12:00am when the temp was down to 95 degrees and there was a nice breeze, I tore it apart and installed the new pump and thermo. I completed the project by 3:15am and all was great headed over to the shelve to get some antifreeze to fill it with then brain farted:confused: I remembered that I used something different in my diesel but I can't remember what. I have the expensive Prestone on the shelve that says it goes in everything but I don't think it goes in my diesel:dunno . Please help, Thanks guys as always you are the best:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The coolant for the 6.0 is Ford VC-7 (Gold coolant) and your radiator holds 27.5 quarts of coolant and water. Use distilled water to mix with the coolant or you will have problems later. Use only GOLD coolant.

Dave

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave is right on. Just last week I went to Ford and bought two gallons of
VC-7-B "Gold" which is yellow colored antifreeze. I bought some because our new Focus also takes the same antifreeze. As Dave said, use distilled water with this antifreeze.
Best price I could find was $14 per gallon, until a friend had some for $10.51 per gallon.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zerex G-05 GOLD is available dont use DILUTED water...USE DISTILLED
water...you should be able to find distilled water at any grocery store or
walmart.

Zerex Gold is available at auto zone ('bout 10 bucks a gallon, full strength).

DO NOT use a 1 color or brand fits all coolant...and shoot for a 70% / 30%
coolant / DISTILLED water mixture

if all you did was drop the lower hose, draining the block and radiator
youd need about 4 gallons of fluid to fill it back up....fill it up, run it
til its warm (so the thermostat opens) and then top it up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukirok