Coolent Change

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got 4 gallons of Premium Gold and distilled, but just a bit unsure of the steps. Please confirm I have this right.

1) Pull lower radiator hose and let the system drain.
2) Fill water only in the degas bottle only, don’t have to worry about filling radiator?
3) Run the truck around with heater on.
4) Repeat 1-4 several times
5) Final time refill degas with 4 gallons coolant then the rest distilled.

I was going to start this morning, and then it dawned on me there wasn’t a radiator cap, so I thought I better check to make sure I wasn’t missing something.
Thank you for tolerating my ignorance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The radiator fills by the degas bottle. If you look at the hoses, you will see how this works. You do NOT need to remove the radiator cap. Flushing with distilled water is all you need. Refill with a 50% mixture Motorcraft GOLD coolant and distilled water. It is easier to do than type. Go for it!

Dave :)

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Are the old school antifreeze testers still acurate with the new school gold coolent? If 4 gal drains out, and 3 gal anifreeze and 1 water is added then including the 3-4 caught in the engin I should be gettind -34 not the maxed out --47 my gauge is showing, right?? motor and heater hold 4?:dunno

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
doesent the gold have the ccp built in and never needs any adding in the future?

where the green needs the ccp added once and a while.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The additives are in the Gold Coolant. No need for the test strips of the Green Coolant. You are good for 100,000 miles.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is your truck and your money, but don't throw it away. 100,000 miles is what is called for and what I follow.

Dave

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Schedule Maintenance Guide says to change antifreeze 5 years or 100k miles (whichever comes first) and after initial change, 3 years or 50k miles (whichever comes first).

My X was built in July 2005 so I am ready for an antifreeze flush and change. I only have 33k miles on her but manual says 5 years or 100k miles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58