coolent lose

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I use a coolant filter because that is what I had in my Detroit Diesel 8V92TA. Keeps the junk at a minimum, and there is a lot of casting sand in the block.

Dave

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run an Edge insight multigauge (it plugs right into the OBDII) and two of the parameters I monitor are Coolant Temp and Diesel Engine oil temp. If you get more than a 25 degree split - then you have oil cooler problems, and EGR cooler problems will be on the way.

I'm going to get two more gauges - HPOP pressure and fuel pressure, because those are 2 more areas where monitoring can pay off - HPOP leaks, and low fuel pressure.

I wouldn't add any simple green or any other snake oil, get a professional flush, with the recommended coolant and mix (no tap water) then install a coolant filter- any of our sponsors will carry them. They are not too expensive, and are pretty easy to install. My 06 had alittle casting sand in the filter first time I checked it, but I have a feeling that the early 6.0's had more casting sand issues than the later ones.

parttime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
alright guys i took the truck back thursday 10/22 they called me the next day 10/23 and said they had it fixed at 4:55 pm and they close shop at 5:30 and are closed on sat. so i didnt get a chance to get back on friday so i waited until today to go get it.they replaced the resivor and said it was fixed and if for some reason it wasnt that needed to just go ahead and find another dealer because they have done everything that they know to do and ont be able to help me anymore.some customer service huh. well guess what i get home with the truck today and guess what do i smell and see on the fenderwell you guessed it coolant.i have 2 appointments setup with 2 differrent dealers tomorrow 1 is at 8am and the other is at 12:00.hopefully i will get a answer on what the culprit is tomorrow.

parttime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well both dealers today confirmed that it was the H.G.'s so i will be putting it back in the shop next week for them.going to go ahead and do the egr delete,new oil cooler and studs as well.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I took my truck to a mechanic and he replaced the oil cooler, EGR cooler, the oil sensor, changed the oil and flushed the coolant system for me. My truck is running very nicely with no temp issues or degas problems. I was glad to hear that the head gasket was still good.

He told me that he has repaired a lot of 6.0L and found so many were oil cooler clogged issues that start the cycle of damage. I am going to install a coolant filter in the near future for a good peace of mind.

P.S. all the repairs cost less then the dealerships around my area and I was happy to pay him.

Last edited:

parttime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
glad you got it fixed.the guy that will is doing mine works at a ford dealership and is doing the labor for 1400.00.i dropped it off at his house yesterday and he was going to start on it then.i will be out of town this week and he said it should be ready to pick up sat when i got back.i got my own studs and took them when i dropped off the truck and the egr delete kit is being shipped to his shop.the dealership would have done the work but they wouldn't do the headstuds and they wanted 3500.00 + to do the job.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14