Cooling System Treatment

professor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 F350 (7.3), it was mentioned to me the other I should be using some kind of "corrosion inhibitor" in the radiator. He suggested "WIX COOL" #24056 or the same thing from Car Quest #89056.

Anyone have experience with this product or would suggest something else?????

Thanks,
Professor

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ford actually specifies a coolant additive be, well, added to the coolant at some interval..
um...
I just change mine every two years and like it.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to have nitrates in the coolant. Being an 03 you have extended life coolant.
You get test strips from napa and read the strips and add nitrates accordingly.
Even if you change the coolant you want to test the new coolant too. YOu may need sca's(supplemental coolant additives) "nitrates" added to your coolant. They(strips) also test for molybdate, but your coolant may not have any of that in the first place. Mine does but some brands do not. Their are 2 formulas of additives(dca 2 and dca 4), I got all caught up in this.Use the nitrate only strips, or if you get strips that test both just read nitrate. If you flush the coolant, you use the strips and additive from the same company so it matches, some use nitrate w/molybate and others just nitrate. Both will work. If you have to guess what you have, guess nitrate only, its safer then to add a ton of additives to bring up the molyB and overload the nitrate side in doing so.

dmd

Reaction score
WIX cool, dex cool.. all of that is the wrong stuff.. You need the international or ford
stuff.. I believe ford calls it FW16.. It is a cavitation inhibitor, so it can save
your engine from pin holes in the cylinder walls... Very important!!

Being you have a 03, you can run the ELC coolant made by CAT, DELO, and a list of
others.. This is the same stuff used by OTR trucks and will last years with no
additives.

If your coolant is green, then it has been changed and you probably have no
cavitation protection (bad), if it is gold then it may be the original Ford stuff
that came right from the bottle in poor condition.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58