Coon season

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Coon season came in friday up here in ohio, yup ya guessed it i was in the woods at 11:59 pm thursday nite waitin for that stroke of midnight:D ... got a couple great biggins...... I love coon season:thumbs

Anyone else coon hunt?

Neal

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I havent hunted coons in well............... a coons age. :D Used to do quite a bit of it while I was in highshool tearing around with my buddies on late night escapades though. I stick to big game now.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
A guy I work with, his brother hunts coons. He did a lot of coon hunting in Ohio, but now hunts in the U.P of Michigan. Coons are his life hence the name Cooner. :roflmao

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I used to, but I kinda got out of it when fur prices fell in the mid to late 80's thanks to the bunny huggers...

now they're just a "target of opportunity"

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to hunt the sewer coons with a gun. but it sure is fun trying...

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of coon season. Where I grew up in Louisiana, we had to shoot them to keep our garden from being destroyed. We had a dog that would tree them, usually about 2 or 3 in the morning, and my dad had to go find them. One summer, I think we got about 15 or 20, all because of the dog treeing them in the night. We didn't hunt them at all. The dog would tree them, then sit down under the tree and bark once or twice to let us know where he was. All we had to do was find him, then look up the tree.

rtxcoon

She Smokes a little!!!
Reaction score
hunted a coon or two in my day...

we had a pair of dogs...dack and dill

also trapped them in the winter...back then, a good fur was worth
$25-$40 bux....

HorseHauler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No, but I'd like to some time (18 years old - just got first guns earlier this year, nobody in the family hunts).

Out of curiosity - what do you shoot em with? .22 mag. I cought a juvenille in my horse feed, he had been chewing in for a few weeks, shot him with CCI Stingers (most devestating hypersonic 22 lr. round available) twice in the head, once in the chest, and finally he stopped flopping. If you don't care about the hide I guess a shotgun would do the trick pretty fast.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
HorseHauler said:
No, but I'd like to some time (18 years old - just got first guns earlier this year, nobody in the family hunts).

Out of curiosity - what do you shoot em with? .22 mag. I cought a juvenille in my horse feed, he had been chewing in for a few weeks, shot him with CCI Stingers (most devestating hypersonic 22 lr. round available) twice in the head, once in the chest, and finally he stopped flopping. If you don't care about the hide I guess a shotgun would do the trick pretty fast.

Just a plain ol. .22 will do jut fine, not to destructive but gets the job done, i shoot them as little as possible, right to the ol noggin if i can. a shot gun would just be bad news on the pelt.

we've been getin around $20 for our biggest the last couple years, thats skinned, scraped, stretched and sent directly to the North American Fur Auction in Canada. we dont do it for the money, we do it just because we like to.

Neal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg