Corrective Lenses

ArlieEdwards

Arlie
Reaction score
Now that you think things are solved, let me tell you about our family. My wife wears those contacts that are supposed to take the place of bifocals. One eye is for distance, and the other for close up. She swears by them.

I on the other hand prefer my bifocal glasses. Even though she won't admit it, I often catch her looking at something in her hand and turning her head one way and then the other to try to get the correct magnification. I never have that problem. In addiition, at night I take my glasses off and lay them by the bed. Put them on when I get up...no matter what time of the night I might need to take care of bodily functions.

After observing her in contacts for years now, I don't think she has a very good argument to get me into a pair.

:dunno

Arlie

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I wore glasses for 17 years then contacts for the last three. Both had their plusses and negatives. After nearly 20 years in glasses I had nearly permanent dents in my nose from the nose pads and the spot over my ears where the bows went was super sensitive. But I worked in fairly dusty conditions so I was pretty sure that contacts were going to be a PITA for me. Then I switched jobs to a less dusty environment and started to wear contacts, I really enjoyed the freedom of having my face back without specs hanging off my nose but I never truely felt comfortable with contacts, I could always feel them in my eyes. I finally decided to have corrective surgery done and that has been one of the best decisions I have made concerning my eye care in the last 25 years.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I finally decided to have corrective surgery done and that has been one of the best decisions I have made concerning my eye care in the last 25 years.
I think that is what I will end up doing. I checked into it and at this time there is no doc here that does it. The closest is about 350 miles away and they told me it takes a minimum of four visits to get it done from start to finish plus about $3500 over what my insurance covers. It will be a while before I have enough spare time to drive down to Anchorage four or five times. I hope one of these days someone will start doing the surgery here in Fairbanks.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Crumm said:
The closest is about 350 miles away and they told me it takes a minimum of four visits to get it done from start to finish plus about $3500 over what my insurance covers.

:confused: Four visits? I had it done in one 15 minute session. And my insurance covered ZERO. I also had to drive 250~300 miles to get it done.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man.... 4 visits and $3,500 over what your insurance covers... :eek:

In Las Vegas it's an initial visit.. to see of your a canidate.. then usually the next day you can get the procedure done... then a follow up the next day...

The total for everything is like $3,200.. And that is for the updated laser procedure...

If you want to get the old laser treatment done it's like $1300 for everything.

Both my Brother and BIL had it done in Vegas... My BIL's took a little extra time because he rubbed his eyes in the night and almost ripped his Flap off.. They had to go back in and redo things to make it right... then at night he had to wear goggles to keep from rubbing his eyes again while he slept.

I too could never get used to the skew'dness that glasses give.. I played a lot of softball and had a real hard time at night catching fly balls... it threw my perception way off... I too have the contacts that you leave in for a month at a time... It takes a bit to get used to them, or for your body to get used to them.. At first it seems like it takes a lot of eye drops to keep them moist enough... then your body starts making enough tears to keep them moist. Now, every once in a while its a couple of drops in the morning to get things to adjust properly and your off. We race off-road and the dust and silt is so thick that you can taste it... I never have a problem... usually I notice it the next day when I wake up with little dirt clods in the corners of my eyes. :roflmao

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
:confused: Four visits? I had it done in one 15 minute session.
They told me one visit too see if I am a candidate, one for the surgery and at least two follow-ups.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Update

Five more days have passed and things are starting to look normal. I am finding that it is a big pain in the butt cleaning the dirt off of them but I guess getting old is not for sissies. My vision close up is still a little hazy with them on but it seems to be improving. Now that the ground has flattened out things sure do look better :cowboy:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
yeah I suppose the alternative does suck. Anyone know where a guy would get some hearing aids and hair plugs to go with my glasses :rofl:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14