Counting steering box splines

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I think I might go ahead and replace my steering box in pursuit of my desire to get rid of the front end wandering. I replaced the ball joints which helped, but didn't get rid of all the looseness.

From what I'm told, there are two different steering boxes, a 32 count spline and a 36 count spline. Is that spline count on the output shaft where the pitman arm mounts, or the input shaft where the steering shaft goes in? I just want to know I'm counting in the right place.

Thanks

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I was told. I think the change happened in the 05 front end change over to coil springs. Your 99 should be the 32 with smaller output shaft than the 05+ w/ 36.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think I might go ahead and replace my steering box in pursuit of my desire to get rid of the front end wandering. I replaced the ball joints which helped, but didn't get rid of all the looseness.

From what I'm told, there are two different steering boxes, a 32 count spline and a 36 count spline. Is that spline count on the output shaft where the pitman arm mounts, or the input shaft where the steering shaft goes in? I just want to know I'm counting in the right place.

Thanks

32 on the pitman shaft..
did you try adjusting the pitman shaft preload?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
32 on the pitman shaft..
did you try adjusting the pitman shaft preload?

Yep, tried that last summer. Seemed to help for a while, but after a bit it seemed to regress again. I can actually wiggle the wheel back and forth about 1/2" to 1" with no effect when going down the road. With 293,000 miles, I'm strongly suspecting the steering box is just worn.

Thinking about getting it rebuilt here:
Red Head Steering Gears

Looks to me like they make a pretty decent rebuilt steering box.

Last edited:

Scot

;()
Reaction score
That's what I got! No question that solved my issues. My original box was toast at 80K. With 300K you've gotten you $ worth!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yep, tried that last summer. Seemed to help for a while, but after a bit it seemed to regress again. I can actually wiggle the wheel back and forth about 1/2" to 1" with no effect when going down the road. With 293,000 miles, I'm strongly suspecting the steering box is just worn.

Thinking about getting it rebuilt here:
Red Head Steering Gears

Looks to me like they make a pretty decent rebuilt steering box.

let's make sure Dpantazis sees this..
he's been white knuckling Big Red for a couple months now..
this weekend he's "behind the Ceddar Curtian" he called it..
I know he's got a buddy that lives up by RoyBoy..

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party, but I've been running a Red Head steering box for two months or so now, quite satisfied, nice and tight, no more death grip on the wheel. My stock box wore out in 70,000 miles. Theres a one year warranty on the Red Head and it's cheaper than factory, go for it!

JRJ04

Reaction score
gotta revive this one...cause i think i need a new steering box.

TG's was 32 spline...but im thinking mine is 36 since its a 4x4. I got a ford part number and they told me in the description it says 36 teeth.

Can anyone verify this before I order?

Thanks,

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
gotta revive this one...cause i think i need a new steering box.

TG's was 32 spline...but im thinking mine is 36 since its a 4x4. I got a ford part number and they told me in the description it says 36 teeth.

Can anyone verify this before I order?

Thanks,

While not a 100% indicator, I measured the dia of the output shaft at the top of the control arm. 1.32" for a 32 spline on a 4x4.

FWIU, a 36 spline is a bigger shaft.

As it turned out, I could not count the splines without 1st removing the sterering gear. The sway bar bracket prevents you from removing the control arm on the truck. Gotta take the steering gear out to remove the control arm and see the output shaft well enough to count the splines.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58