Couple of questions about the new 08's

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new guy over on here, but I'm a frequent over on Oilburners. I would be on here more but I dont have one of those fancy computer controlled :D , turbo (man I wish my 6.9 had one), diesels.

So I have a couple of questions for you guys on the new 2008 Fords with of course the 6.4 psd. And no I'm not thinking about buying one, I'm still in high school I couldnt afford one if I won the lottery. My parents started looking for a new vehicle for my mom to drive to work cause our Volvo was a total POS. I told them they should look at a new truck, and that we should go test drive one of them (I only said that so I could test drive it :sweet ). The next weekend they go out and test drive one without me -mad . They come home and are telling me about how awsome it is, I was pretty much like yeah I told you so. That was about a month and a half ago. So I sold off our 1995 Ford F-350 4x4 PSD CC SRW and 03 Jetta TDI so we could afford it. And then we started looking for the perfect truck. They ended up finding one, and it will be at our dealership early next week. Its a 2008 Ford F-350 6.4/Torqueshift, Lariat, Forest Green/Medium stone (I prefer black, but I aint paying for it), 4x4, CC, SRW, 11500 GVRW package, NAV system (a commodity we didnt think we wanted until they saw how cool it was), 3.73 LS, 20" wheels with the BSW A/T's, PTC supplimental heater, upfitter switches, heated seats, Sirius, and some other things that I cant remember.

So now for the questions. What the heck is a PTC heater? Is it that cabin heater that blows hot air before the engine is up to operating temp? Whats your guys opinion on these new 08's? Anybody had anything go bad on them? Do intakes and DPF exhaust back kits void the warrenty? Fuel milage sucks, I know, but anybody with the same setup what are you getting out of it? Where is a good internet site that sells a whole bunch of aftermarket parts (My dads pushing for lots of chrome pieces to go on it, like wheel arch trim and what not, but I cant for the life of me find a site that sells anything for these)?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome over to this side of the fence, FordGuy100. Ford dealers tend to frown on any mods as far as warranty. Exhaust mods are OK if you keep the Cat. They don't like intake mods as they have a very good filter system. Your mileage may vary depending on your dealer. Sorry, I don't have an '08 so I can't comment.

Dave

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the exhaust would be just fine, just as long as the dpf and cat werent screwed around with. The intake I wasnt sure about though. Everything to help out the fuel milage these things are getting new. My parents were pretty made at me when they saw how crappy of fuel milage these new 6.4's get compared to our first gen 7.3 psd, I told them they didnt get as good but no they go and say I never said that :rolleyes: . We found out that the truck was actually on a train going to Washington, which is where it should be by now. And now they have to send somebody to drive up there and get it for us. I'm fricking excited to drive it :drive :sly :burnit :eek: :D. I've never driven a light duty diesel truck with more than 250hp :roflmao so I'm sure I'm going to love it .

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured out what a PTC heater is:

PTC stands for Positive Temperature Coefficient. I don't think that really means anything. What the PTC does is it's basically an electric heater. It does not use coolant like regular heaters do... The company that makes them says that, due to the newer engine running so efficiently, they don't generate as much heat....therefore, the coolant isn't heating up enough to effectively run the heater.

Also, this type of heater works faster because it doesn't have to wait for the coolant to get up to temp.

BERU is who makes it for the 08.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Depending on your dealer, the intake will void your warranty. Should be okay with the exhaust as long as you don't remove the DPF filter.

And when you turn on your heating in cold weather just turn it on low to medium. The supplemental heater works best in low to medium.

On and congrats on your new truck.

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses :sweet . I figured the PTC heater was the electric heater, but I wasnt sure what the PTC stood for. My parents just left to go get it, hopefully they will come back with it in a couple of hours.

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, they brought it home today:sweet . Its one slick looking truck. They got home and let me take it for a test drive, and all I can say is holy crap. This truck definatly has some power, and accelerates very nicely. Plus you can actually hear the turbo's all spooled up, but more so when you let off. Its an awsome truck, and I made sure to remind them that I was the one that told them they should go test drive it.

I'll gets some pics up this weekend.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
One thing to remember about the milage is that the truck has to be broke in to get the best milage, that can take up to 50k. Sharp lookin truck!! Anyone got HP and TQ figures stock?

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember about the milage is that the truck has to be broke in to get the best milage, that can take up to 50k. Sharp lookin truck!! Anyone got HP and TQ figures stock?

Yup we know it will take some time for the milage to get up. Its kind of stupid how people with these new 6.4's are all pissing and moaning about how bad fuel milage they are getting when they are still brand spanking new engines. I honestly dont think 14 is all that bad for a new engine in a 8500 pound rig.

The engine is rated at 350hp @3000rpm's, and 650 lbs ft of torque @ 2000 rpm's, in diesel power they dynoed one and it dynoed at 290hp @ 2969 rpm's, and 516 lbs ft of torque @ 2814 rpm's at the rear wheels.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58