CPS Failure

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Can you help me answer a question about the deathj of my CPS?

99 F350 dually crewcab with 75K miles stopped after coughing two times. Check engine light came on. Drove on to store about 2 miles, stopped and tried to crank engine again. It cranked and the CEL went off. Whew, thought I was out of the woods. Not So! Next tine I shut engine down---it would not crank.

Had it towed to local Ford Dealer. They did a diagnostics test and said there was a wire problem. They said the wire bumdle going to the CPS was chaffed and had shorted out. This had caused the CPS to be ruined.

Have you heard of this happening? Is it possible that the dealer caused the problem while trying to run diagnostics on wire OHN tests ----where a simple change out of the sensor could have fixed the problem? There has never been any work on the engine, so, my question is-----was there a design problem that allowed the wire to become chaffed (if that is really what happened)?

Thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shorted wire on the CPS circuit shouldnt cause your truck not to CRANK. It should still turn over (crank), but it wont RUN.

A shorted wire shouldnt cause the CPS to go bad, however, you prolly had a CPS that was dying, and since there is no way to "prove" a bad CPS other than it wont work, they prolly felt they had to come up with a better excuse than "Its a bad sensor that just died because it could".

I'd say its a "feel good" thing. The dealer feels good they think they found a "reason" for the bad CPS, and you feel good that they found a "reason" it went bad.

But, its all smoke and mirrors. You prolly had a dying CPS regardless of what the dealer says, and you should have been preparred by having your spare in the glovebox. You DO have a spare right?

Everyone else has their spare too right? Right?!

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Yep I gotta a spare CPS, spare belt, spare radiator hose, spare t-stat, spare t-stat housing, and 5 fuel filters.:cool:

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry a 7.3 in the bed just in case and a 4r100 plus a dana 80 rear and a 60 frunt all complete and ready to go on

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14