CPS shim set

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever air gaped their CPS. While buying my new blue cps, the International parts guy asked if I wanted a shim kit. At first I stood there dumbfounded, then he pulled them out and said I would probally need them. I then responded by asking him what to set it to and he told me to ask a mechanic. I did and he brought out this sweet airgap checker they use when installing a new CPS. I eventually talked my way into getting to use it for free and found that there are different air gaps for the 7.3 and the 466 and the CPS also. Since I was installing the blue CPS I used the setting for the 466 and found that I needed to install one of the four shims I bought. But all this led me to my conclusion why some people see gains with the blue CPS and why some don't. For some the air gap changes and hits the sweet spot making it run better and for some it comes to close or two far away and doesn't change a thing or can make it worse.

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
shim part #

the International number is 1841521C91, but you have to have a speacial tool to check the current air gap. Most IH truck stores have one. the shims won't do you any good unless your CPS is off. if you want to learn more about it ask a service tech at an IH truck store.

SCCAracecarHauler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does the blue CPS need shimming?

One of the above posters was told by an IH partsman that the blue CPS needed shimming.

However, in another post on this forum, a poster claimed that the tolerances on the newer CPSs have been improved to the point that they do not need to be shimmed.

What do the experts think?

Thanks, steven

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl