Crap here we go again

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to do some service work like change filters, oil and so on. Looked up and seen the degas bottle had little to no coolent. Put a gal. of water in in and went to the dealer to get it checked out. Truck is just out of warrenty.:dunno Checked for codes like over boost , nothing there. Thinking EGR, what you guy's think?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
is it running different... and usually a loss of coolant is an early sign of head failure... do you do much hauling? and chip/programmer?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running different... No, and usually a loss of coolant is an early sign of head failure...Thats what bugs me. Do you do much hauling? Yes, my 5th wheel, and chip/programmer? yes, but I keep it in tow mode all the time and dont let it boost much over 22 pounds. I'm going to pull the egr today and clean it so we will see whats happens.

Last edited:

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Running different... No, and usually a loss of coolant is an early sign of head failure...Thats what bugs me. Do you do much hauling? Yes, my 5th wheel, and chip/programmer? yes, but I keep it in tow mode all the time and dont let it boost much over 22 pounds. I'm going to pull the egr today and clean it so we will see whats happens.

Im guessing your heads are starting to go... my 03 was drinking a gallon of coolant almost weekly before I got hit... it was not running weird or smoking different or anything.... the egr valve could be choked but i would be surprised if thats it... unfortunately we drive 6.0s and if ya haul anything with a 6.0 then head failure is almost a given.... my only suggestion would be to make sure you get ARP head studs in it if they do have to be replaced....

good luck.. i feel your pain.. im driving on pins and needles cause i really can't afford anything to go terribly wrong..

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not loss any coolant or needed to put anything in from sunday. I did clean the egr, it was a mess. But I dont know, took it for a run about 60 miles round trip did not loss any coolent so far. We will see what happens this weekend when I pull my 5ther up to Little Tabit Island.

Last edited:

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Have not loss any coolant or needed to put anything in from sunday. I did clean the egr, it was a mess. But I dont know, took it for a run about 60 miles round trip did not loss any coolent so far. We will see what happens this weekend when I pull my 5ther up to Little Tabit Island.

like i said about my 03..... it was doing that too but i didn't have to worry about it because i get demolished by an 18 wheeler before it had a chance to show itself... but i drove it a good 20000 miles wondering why it wouldn't hold coolant.... you might be alright... just keep a close eye on her

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to eyeball it for now and get the ARP bolts and the EGR delete kit. Does anybody have the list of all the parts numbers needed for the head job on the truck. I cant find the list I had for it last time I did it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58