Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Dies.......

dpantazis

Reaction score
details from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#Death
<bold emphasis is mine>

"The events were caught on camera, and the footage was handed to the Queensland Police.[27] After reviewing the footage of the incident and speaking to the cameraman who recorded it, marine documentary filmmaker and fisherman Ben Cropp speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead." In such a case, the stingray responds by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail up to a maximum of 25 cm (10 in) of length. Cropp said Irwin had accidentally boxed the animal in. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest. It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." The stinging of Irwin by the Bull Ray was "a one-in-a-million thing," Cropp told Time magazine. "I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."[28] Immediately after the attack, Irwin was shown on tape pulling the barb out, before losing consciousness.[29]It is thought, in the absence of a coroners report, that either the toxins of the barb caused Irwin to die of an apparent cardiac arrest[30] or that he died quickly as a result of a punctured aorta[31]."

i realize in hindsite that my crack about eating rays may have been in poor humor- but they are good eating fish.

i too hope that the ray swam away to live out its natural life. it propably swam away in the confusion of it all.

i wonder how much of the footage they will release, if any. i think that at this time, there is too much mis-information floating around, and we may never be told the 'truth' of the matter.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I got to swim with all kinds of rays (stinger clipped) at Discovery Cove in Florida. They are very nice docile creatures. I sure Steve did not think he had anything to worry about.

Gatting hit in the Aorta is a bad deal. My wife was working in the ER and tey had a guy come in that had stabbed himself in the Aorta cutting open a bag of dog food. He nearly died. I would imagine out on a boat there is no chance especially with the venom.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
I didn't expect it to happen like like but it was really just a matter of time before something got him. I think he got to the point where he thought nothing could ever happen to him. Of course this freaky thing could have happen to anyone, I expected to hear someday about how a Croc finally got hold of him or something. I imagine he would have rather gone out that way as well.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
read today, that they got the whole thing on video, of course, thats what they were doing anyways, so naturally they filmed it.

also the people that were with him, stated that he pulled the barb out himself.

i just wonder if he would have maybe survived if he left it alone.:dunno

you know they say that an object that has impelled into the body is best left alone to help with the loss of blood flow until you can get to the ER.

if you take it out, its just like loosing fluid thru a high pressure hose.

i guess we will never know.:(

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
the people that were with him, stated that he pulled the barb out himself.

i just wonder if he would have maybe survived if he left it alone.:dunno

WIKI on Steve Irwin said:
It is thought, in the absence of a coroner's report, that a combination of the toxins and the puncture wound from the barb caused Irwin to die of an apparent cardiac arrest. This cannot be exactly true, since stingray venom is very slowacting. It is also possible that he died quickly as a result of a punctured aorta. It is also thought that shock could have played a role in his death. Until the coroner's report is released, however, the precise cause of Irwin's death remains conjecture.

Full Article here.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
i just wonder if he would have maybe survived if he left it alone.(
That's something, unfortunately, that we'll never know. However, "common sense" seems to think that he could have survived. I'm sure that if he'd been taken to a hospital with the "barb" still intact, it would have been surgically removed. I would imagine that he was acting on instinct, just as if he'd been stung in the leg and reached down and removed the stinger. Of course, as has been stated here before, it was his time to go, and nothing would stop that. I also heard on "The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" today that Australia is considering giving him a state funeral, considering the impact he had on that area. I also heard that he had over 200 million viewers worldwide.

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel a sense of personal loss as I really enjoyed his programs, and I'll miss the ones he won't have the chance to produce in the future. But I wasn't exactly shocked at the news....I'd have been shocked if he'd been run down by a bus, in a plane crash, or choking on too big a bite of chicken.

RIP Steve.:(

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
I was filled with sadness when I heard the news. We should all be so energetic and in love with the things around us as he was. We should all be that excited about life.

The last episode I watched before hearingthe news was of him catching geckoes with his daughter, Bindi, on the shores of Western Austrailia, and how much fun they were having together, and how much she obviously loves her daddy... And of little Bob, who will never even know his father and what an awesome guy he was.

I think Steve's death is horrible.

After 30 years of dealing with the nastiest that nature has to offer, and never really being even badly injured, it shocks me that something as docile and "harmless" as a stingray finally did him in. That just adds to the senseless tragedy of it all. It also reinforces the idea that when it is your time, it is your time.

I just hope his family can see that he lived a lifetime in his 44 years, that he died doing what he loved the most, and that they can accept that and move on.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I enjoyed his shows and will miss him, he had a one of a kind personality and was an entertainer from the word go. But he tempted mother nature one to many times it seems, I hope his wife and family can find peace with it.
I agree. It is a wonder that he made it as long as he did. I am sure while it is tough for the family they do understand that he lived on the edge and died on the edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14