Cruise control on 2000 Superduty Inop?

Nazty 4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cruise control has not worked since I've owned it. It has had the ford recall done some time back. All fuses checked.

2000 super duty 7.3L 6spd manual 4x4

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cruise control has not worked since I've owned it. It has had the ford recall done some time back. All fuses checked.

2000 super duty 7.3L 6spd manual 4x4

A $25.00 place to start ?

Replace the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), on the top of the rear Diff.

10mm bolt w/clamp, 2 pin connector.. 20 min labor.

Joe

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had an issue, I replaced the controls on the steering wheel. Works fine ever since.

I guessed it was the controls since everything else worked on the truck, and the cruise would turn on only when I pressed way too hard on the controls.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Ya might try using your toe and pulling upwards on the brake pedal to see if the pedal switch is goofy.:2c

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the OBS trucks cruise stops working when the 3rd brake light blows out, a quick easy fix if that wiring quirk carried over to the SD trucks.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
you figure this out yet? My '01 7.3 manual F350 has the same issue. So did my bosses '04 350 6.0, the company's '00 Gasser 250, and the '04 Excursion.

arizona

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had this problem for a while until my clutch master cylinder failed. I removed it to find the clutch pedal switch had been broken and stuck in the clutch 'in' position allowing the truck to start fine but disables the cruise control. Problem solved. The switch cost me 80 some odd dollars though!! Biggest rip off ever for such a simple, cheaply made part.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was some posting a year or two ago about one solution -- the wires going to the cruise control inside the steering wheel hub rub against a bar and take the insulation off. I think I was blowing #45 circuit when I turned the wheel to the right...it took out the instrument cluster and I think it only idled. Search a bit here you'll find it. I think T-bar also posted about it? It is a crappy design and easily fixed with some heat shrink tubing, once you take the steering wheel apart and (carefully) remove the airbag assembly. It was real obvious once apart...:dunno

EDIT: Here it is: link

It was the OD wire, not the cruise control...but worth a look?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim