Cruse Control

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My cruse control just stopped working today. All fuses are good, any idea what could be going on ?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Mine has done that once or twice..............would start working again when I restarted the truck. :dunno

Tbar

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99F250 said:
My cruse control just stopped working today. All fuses are good, any idea what could be going on ?

You might have a broken clockspring (mine is broken too). Do the buttons still light up? The clockspring can be broken and they'll still get power but since I'm having the dealer fix mine while I still have a warranty, I can't offer any advice on how best to repair it.:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99F250 said:

A $25.00 place to start would be: yer VSS. (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

It's on to top of yer (rear) Dif.. 10mm bolt and a pin plug. R & R it.

The VSS is >USUALY< the culprit. (an age & miles thing)

:dunno

Joe

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
A $25.00 place to start would be: yer VSS. (Vehicle Speed Sensor) Joe

I gotta respectfully disagree with that one.

I had a VSS go out on me one time. The symptoms were an intermittant speedometer that bounced between "0" and whatever my speed was and a flashing O/D light in the shift handle. If the speedometer and O/D light in the shift handle are normal, and the only symptom is the cruise control not working, then I would be inclined to suspect something else.

Also I had a cruise control issue once that turned out to be a brake switch in the engine compartment below the master cylinder. I tried all the tricks already mentioned including lifting up the brake pedal with my toe.

I noticed on my AutoEnginuity that it will check the function of the different buttons: ON/OFF/SET/RESUME/COAST etc. If you have a buddy somewhere with an AutoEnginuity, you can do a diagnostic on the funtion of the various switches for the cruise control.

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
jvencius said:
You might have a broken clockspring (mine is broken too). Do the buttons still light up? The clockspring can be broken and they'll still get power but since I'm having the dealer fix mine while I still have a warranty, I can't offer any advice on how best to repair it.:dunno

yeah mine still lights up, but I lucked out the warranty gig :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl