Cummins Question

ihatelaramie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know this has nothing to do with Powerstrokes, but this kid I work with got an 02 ram with the Cummins. It's totally stock except for a 5" exhaust. He won't do anything else to it till it's out of warranty. Anyway, he claims to get24-25mpg and thats mixed driving. But I know where he lives and its mostly city driving on his way to school and work. This guy is normally full of it, so we were wondering if this sounds like BS to yall too...

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most cummins guys you meet will tell you they get 20 or higher. All my friends drive dodges diesels, I think the exhaust has effected them too much:lmao.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible empty on level ground no wind, 2wd, in overdrive, at 50/55 mph.
I have a friend that has got 25 mpg in the above situation. He also has a standard cab, and is 86 years old.
He loves his Dodge Cummins.

I love our PSD. At 50/55 empty in o.d. we got 21 mpg. We have a little over 16,000 miles on our truck, and it got (new) 18.5 mpg at 70 mph, and still does. No improvement. Some say that our trucks will get better mileage around 20,000 miles, after the engine gets broken in, but I have not seen it yet. Maybe when it reaches 20,000 miles. :dunno

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cummins is a great motor, maybe not 24-25 mpg on a consistent basis great, but still great. I would love to have a Cummins engine in my truck, to bad everything else about the Dodges are crap.
I have always said, that Cummins is the best engine, Allison the best tranny, to bad the rest of both those trucks are crap. Ford has the best all around engine, tranny and truck package.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cummins is a great motor, maybe not 24-25 mpg on a consistent basis great, but still great. I would love to have a Cummins engine in my truck, to bad everything else about the Dodges are crap.
I have always said, that Cummins is the best engine, Allison the best tranny, to bad the rest of both those trucks are crap. Ford has the best all around engine, tranny and truck package.

I used to believe that the cummins was a better engine, but I am not so sure now, since our trip, we passed every Cummins going up a steep grade with the same size 5th wheel in tow. We are completely stock, with a manual transmission. One Dodge with a lighter 5th wheel, was following us, and he just disappeared from view when we went up a steep grade.

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to believe that the cummins was a better engine, but I am not so sure now, since our trip, we passed every Cummins going up a steep grade with the same size 5th wheel in tow. We are completely stock, with a manual transmission. One Dodge with a lighter 5th wheel, was following us, and he just disappeared from view when we went up a steep grade.

Max remember this: FORD = First On Race Day :D:D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, I have several users getting 22+ out of their Cummins over at OB. I question whether a kid is able to do it but adult driven and those who are using them for hotshot service (where added mileage is added $$ at the end of the month) are getting better mileage than the 6.0's and wayyyyyyyy better than the 6.4. I also have one or two who are claiming 30 but I just discount that to a hard knock on the head at a young age.

Conversely, my father drives a 99 5.9L, chipped, exhaust, intake, injectors, tranny mods and he cant get his pig to get over 13 unloaded and its 9-10 loaded (5ver with a pup in tow).

So..........either my dad is the only honest Cummins driver I have ever met or there is something wrong with his rig. He doesnt care, it starts, runs and pulls like a freight train so he just fuels it and drives it. Its going to be on the chopping block this fall after harvest though. Hes having repeated problems with his tranny and he is now looking into other MFG's as he comes closer to replacement time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14