Curious Case of the Tone Sound - Short Story

Reaction score
This story starts back a few months ago in November.

Was having a transmission issue so dropped her off at the dealer to have a transmission flush done. Since it was in I figured they might as well replace the EGR since it hasn't been working for the last 15 to 20K or so. We they informed me that the EGR cooler wasn't working and it would get replaced under warranty. No problem.

So I get her back a few days later, everything seems fine. Then I notice it - this very light tone sound. Kinda like a soft beep. No biggie - just turn up the radio louder <grins>.

Anyway - this tonal sound seems to be getting louder - can't figure out where it is coming from. Does not do it everyday. Sometime early January I make a connection between the tonal sound and the boost gauge. The sound (which is getting louder each day now) seems to happen when the gauge needle drops after boost. Great - turbo problem. But no - working fine. This keeps up, can't find the source and neither can anyone else.

Move up to a little over a week ago (yes I know this is turning into a long story) - I pull into the driveway, shut her down - and then damn - got anti-freeze on the driveway. Pop the hood - don't see anything top side. Coming from the over flow.

Well didn't seem like that much so I thought you know - huh. Well the next day it got pretty cold and I noticed - no heat when at idle. Pop the hood, check the coolant level - pretty damn low. Fill her back up and go for a drive - park - she starts to puke. Damn.

Next morning I go down to our shop about 60 miles away - pull in, pop the hood to check the coolant - and the damn - the tonal noise! It's coming from the radiator cap. I check the hoses and man there is a boat load of pressure. It's spitting coolant from around the threads of the cap. Well I call the dealer to get a new cap. Nope - don't have one - can't find one, back ordered 18 ways to Sunday.

Soooo - I get on the net and find one in Texas. Order it for two day shipping. Drop the her off at the dealer for a coolant flush and an engine flush. They don't find any problems outside of the cap. The ticket though says that the pressure may be due to the "resistors" installed on the truck. Screw me - forgot to remove the Quad. Truck has 88K on it and the Quad has been on it since mile 27. So you know - no. Coolant flush and engine flush both okay - no other problems noted.

Yep - turning into a book now - but almost done.

So the cap should be here before noon on that day, Thursday - but nope. I had to leave at 5:45pm and when I got home around 11pm a package was waiting. Open it up and like WTF? A gasket, pigtail and sensor. Looking at the package - it had the right mailing address - but the packing slip was for someone out in IL - we both have the same first name.

Called the Texas dealer in the AM and they over nighted another cap for Saturday. Looked up the guy in IL and left him a message that his gasket and stuff was not gonna make and to call the dealer.

So - yes - finally finished here - cap came in - popped it on - and guess what. No tonal sounds, beeps, no coolant on the ground.

All of this over a $5.28 cap. Hopefully my head gasket has managed to stay intact through all of this.

So she should be happy now - tranny flush and filters, coolant flush, engine flush and lube - heck I may even wash her this weekend - :D

Ron

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had this same noise going on ... someone suggested the cap ... guess i'll have to order one ... thanks for the post

jasonfrenchsr

THE BOSS 6.0
Reaction score
just wondering what a qaud is ? u guys are probaly laughing at me ? sorry, dnt ask dnt learn ! pwr stroke rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Ron-
its been a long time!!!

sounds like you chased that one for a while, but glad it was an inexpensive little fix.

Reaction score
Ron-
its been a long time!!!

sounds like you chased that one for a while, but glad it was an inexpensive little fix.

Yeah - been awhile. Had some health issues that damn near did me in - but managed to keep breathing - :D

Tell you what though - tracking down that tone sound about made me bonkers. Well you know - more than I am now -

Ron

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
WOW!! hope & glad you are all right...

nuttin like kickin an illness and your truck giving it right back to you....

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58