Custom Overhead Console

jksweld

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys here is some pics of the overhead console that Iam buildin for my truck. All of this is homemade. There was a lot of head scratching that went into this project, I think that it is gone to turn out nice, all that is left is 2 T-nuts and put the headliner material on it, I got dark grey, the same color as the arm rest on the doors and the dash piece around the stearing wheel. The head liner and the rest of the dash and interior is tan, so I think the dark grey will set it off up top.

First four pics is of the bare structure of it, and a test fit on the cb

The fifth pic is of the layout for the cb speaker in the aluminum plate for the bottom

The rest of the pics are with the alum plate in and the 2 switchs that Advance Auto had, havent made it to one of the other stores to get 2 more yet. Four screws and the alum plate comes off and can get in there to wire the switchs or what ever I need to do. Notice the swirls in the aluminum plate, I put them in myself with a 3" wire cup brush in my drill press.

If anyone whats to know any particulars just ask, hopefully I can get it finished tomarrow. So what do y'all think? Any other things that I can add to make it nicer?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, looking forward to seeing it in the overhead of the truck. I had one that run the full length of my old crew cab and it had the sex lights:roflmao :roflmao and was very nice back then.:thumbs

jksweld

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK heres the finished thing, but not installed

First three is the fabric glued on with Locktite high performace spray adhesive, then I went back and did the final little "tucking" with super glue.

The rest is of the cb, alum plate, and the mike mounted, yes the mike is mounted on the passenger side of the console so it wouldn't be hanging down beside my head

Thanks James

jksweld

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got it mounted today

Four self tapping screws up through the headliner and into the ribs in the cab, that should hold it in there

Iam real happy with the way it turned out, now just have to do all the wiring and get the lights mounted, and get the headache rack built for the lights and antenia

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice work....arent you gonna cover it in MATCHING color/material ?

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
May I make a small suggestion?

Get rid of that cheap Cobra mike, and get a nice noise cancelling one;)

By the way, the console turned out looking real nice, I'm not a big fan of the color, but nice none the less, GOOD JOB!!!
and thanks for the pics!

jksweld

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the comments

The reason that I put the grey on it was to match it with the door panels and put some of that color up top, it probably would have looked better with the tan on it though, but I aint gonna redo it, that bout made me pull my hair out:D

Thanks Again James

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that is SWEET! I never had the ability to fab stuff. Strictly a replacer and mini mechanic type of thing.

Ever think of building another one and having it shipped to ......oh....I don't know.......another member who might pay for such a thing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14