Help Needed Cutting out

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Here is the scenero:

Driving down the interstate about 65-70 mph pulling a little 8 ft enclosed trailer. Every time I would put the peddle down to gain speed or maintain speed up a hill, the engine would act as though it cuts out for a second, kick out a big puff of black smoke and would continue to "flutter" like that until I lifted my foot.

It was like the turbo was cutting out and then back in again if I gave it fuel under load.

Any ideas on what it could be? I dropped it off at the dealer this morning so we will see what they say.

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Iron,
Maybe you have a wire chafing issue?? It seems like your year did have those issues. Good luck and keep us informed.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Maybe. It only does it though when I am trying to accelerate or putting it under load up a hill. It really does it around 65-70 mph on the interstate and I try to accelerate up a hill. Thats when it really acts up.

I am taking the service advisor and the diesel tech for a ride today to show them what it does since they can't seem to reproduce it.

bmoyce

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fuelp pump. The exact same symptoms I had. Under a load, uphill felt like the turbo dumped boost for just a quick second, big puff then fine ... and repeat. With mine i gould just lay into it and keep it around 3k and it wouldnt do it, but just trying to maintain speed... good luck. Replaced the main pump (driver frame rail) and the truck was fine. Btw, ran like hell again with that new fuel pump, apperently it had been on its way out for a while.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Really????? Well...the dealer decided to replace the EGR thinking that is it.

It seems to have fixed the problem. Driving it around last night it was running fine. I have yet to put it under a load and see what it does though.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14