cylinder contribution test pulled a code.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hooked up a scanner and did the cylinder contribution test and it pulled this code p1184-eot sensor circuit performance. now manuals description is, eot less then 68* or above 242* during koer cylinder contribution test. truck was at operating temp when i did the test.manaul also states that if pcm thinks its gettin a faulty reading,it will ignore the eot and assume an eot of -4* degrees for starting and a temp of 212* degrees for running conditions,but no check engine light,im wondering if this could be why i get so much smoke in the mornings?if the sensor is bad ofcourse,im going to do a couple of tests on it tomorrow to confirm it.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also i had the scanner hooked up as i was driving and the eot was reading in at the upper 180's,186-189 ,this was at idle and cruising,also should i have exhaust back pressure while driving?it was right around 20psi all the time and when i would accelerate it would climb.any help is appreciated.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
for the contribution test to run the EOT must be atleast 160*F.i see in your signature that you have a dptuner chip and 10K mod on it.take the 10k off you dont need it with the chip.what color smoke and how much of it?all diesels smoke a little on cold starts.the eot sensor sounds fine.your oil temp should be close to the coolant temp while running.sounds like you tried to run the CCT when the oil temp was below 160*F

youre gonna have exhaust backpressure.thats normal.go on ebay and search for the "dongle".it gets rid of the sensor on the manifold and tricks the PCM into thinking there is little backpressure.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
what the advantage of tellin the PCM you have no back pressure? 97, where did you mount the knob for your tuner and how did you fasten it?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i suppose the eot may have not been at the right temp ill try again today,as far as the smoke,its always either in the morning or after work,either way truck has been sitting for atleast 8 hours.smoke is a light blue both times,much more of it in the morning,always starts right up,just sounds like its choking when it starts and pumps out a good amount of light blue smoke.after work when i start it, there is some blue also,not nearly as much though as in the morning.

my dp tuner switch is just ran up right underneath the steering column,theres that plastic panel under it,i just pulled it through that and its just kinda sittin right under the column.i can get pics if you like.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
blue smoke is burning oil.only smoke on a cold start?does it smoke any other time?if yes what color?(other than straight black).if it only does it on cold starts you most likely need valve seals.how many miles on it?when was the last fuel filter change and what color was the fuel in the filter housing?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
what the advantage of tellin the PCM you have no back pressure? 97, where did you mount the knob for your tuner and how did you fasten it?

not sure what the advantage is but guys like me dont need it.my EBPV is long gone.my cat is also long gone.only restriction in my exhuast is the turbo itself.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blue smoke is burning oil.only smoke on a cold start?does it smoke any other time?if yes what color?(other than straight black).if it only does it on cold starts you most likely need valve seals.how many miles on it?when was the last fuel filter change and what color was the fuel in the filter housing?

well it doesnt exactly get cold here in fl,but after it sits for 8 hours or so it smokes, 160k miles on it now.fuel filter was changed about 600 miles ago,fuel color didnt look irregualr to me,looked normal.
just did the tests again,heres the results:
test one-cylinder 1,6 contribution balance fault
test two-cylinder1,4,6 contribution balance fault
test three- cylinder 1,4,6 contribution balance fault.
do these tests mean bad news for me?truck seems to run fine.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
not sure. Can you get some pics of the tuner knob. Appriciate it , thanks. Hope all's good wiht the truck. Mine smokes a little on cold starts, but only then.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill get pics asap.im wondering if those cylinder faults could be weak injectors ,thus giving me high egts when towing and lack of power,any ithoughts on that,my truck could be underpowered and i wouldnt even know it because ive never driven another powerstroke.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14