D rated vs E rated Tires

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yeah my D rated 285's are rated more than my E rated 265's were. That's why I setteled for the D's.
that's because of the larger air chamber of the 285's

to take the higher pressure, the bead bundles and sidewall wraps all have to be beefed up.

However, from an engineering standpoint, you're also looking at carrying what not to many years ago, would not have been possible without a dual rear wheel set-up, with a single tire. (1) 315/70R16 vs (2) 235/85R16 or to back it up even further, (2) 7.50D16's

AFAIK, Goodyear is the only tire company to currently offer an E-rated 285.

if I'm wrong, you can correct me.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto makes a 285 E too, me thinks they make quite a few large E rated tires. Bushpilot, no need to get mad, it's just that LR D's can hold as much weight or more than a smaller LR E, the letters are only designating the ply count, not the weight rating so much. D's have 8 plys, E's have 10. Usually 65 and 80 psi respectively. E would be a more rugged tire, and will of withstand more abuse.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Maybe it's cuz I use my truck for work, or maybe I'm just a anal bastard. But I won't consider anything less than "E" on my 350. I don't want to give an insurance company an excuse to deny an accident claim on my truck for improper tires. I don't want some lawyer to have an excuse to come after me personally for the same reason if his client is injured in said accident. Most of all I don't need to give Michigan DOT cops a reason to ticket me.

The size and tread options really are limited in the "E" range, but it just comes with the territory when you buy the 350 instead of the 150-250.

In this situation (BFG - All Terrain) the "E" range is slightly larger but has less tread to start so with and I would assume the life of the "E" would be shorter unless the rubber is harder. The red numbers are the tread depth.

LT285/75R16/D 122R RWL 58739 7.5 - 9 11.4 on 8 32.8 17 634 3305@65
LT285/75R16/E 126Q BSW 87606 7.5 - 9 11.3 on 8 33 15 630 3750@80

BFGoodrich Tires | All-Terrain T/A® KO | Tire Sizes & Specs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bolt im not mad...e=more plys than d but PLYS dont apparently dont
correlate to weight capablity (like it used to).

put that way ill opt for more plys anyday....these things handle
like a boat and the more plys, the stiffer, the better...imo

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just giving you a hard time. Tire technology has also come along way in the last few years, rubber compounds, strength, etc, so there's probably not a direct correlation anymore.

Anybody gone to Load Range G tires on their truck? Talk about big bucks for new tires, but they do last forever.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
bolt im not mad...e=more plys than d but PLYS dont apparently dont
correlate to weight capablity (like it used to).

put that way ill opt for more plys anyday....these things handle
like a boat and the more plys, the stiffer, the better...imo

the load range has nothing to do with the actual ply count.

most of them are two body plys, two belts, and an overbelt made out of nylon, fiberglass or kevlar.

it's the denier of the actual ply fabric, and the tensile strength of the bead bundle.

just FYI

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
understood, but my choice was between a D & E tire,
the E has more sidewall plys and a higher weight capacity.

w/ your help I did my home work w/in the tire brand and
model...i bought a properly rated tired CHEAPER...end of story <for me>

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something to look at to is sidewall roll. D has less ply so the truck with a load will roll more then one with a 10 ply sidewall.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14