Damn Door Chime is annoying!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Ok ive got a 99 Superduty and the door chime is driving me crazy. How do I shut it off permanently? I found the lil noise box. Whats the proper procedure for killing the door chime?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You need to remove the ignition switch.

-Remove the plastic piece on the bottom of the steering column. There are 3 or 4 torx heads.

-Put the key in the ignition

-Under the core there is a shinny ball, push it in and turn the key clockwise and remove the switch.

-There are contacts on the switch. Apply some electrical tape, re-insert, and re-assemble everything.

There may be a better write up somewhere here and I may have forgotten something since the last time I did it but its not difficult.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It depends on what functions you want to kill.

I still wanted to keep the "headlight on" reminder, but didn't want the "key in ignition" beeper.

I disconnected the multi-wire plug under the column. Then using a ohm tester, I figured out which wire provided the ground for that function to the key switch. Then all I had to do was remove that wire from the connector and tape it up.

Now I can listen to the stereo with the doors open without some dumb-assed noise maker telling me the ket is in.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea I just want to have my doors open and listen to the radio is all. Still want to keep all my other functions. Do you remember which wire you disconnected? So if i do the ignition switch mod I lose ALL the alarm functions?

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a write up on the wiki site, i dont have the link though, but i did the same thing only for the door chime cause i still wanted it for the headlights.

its pretty simple, but i dont know if it will interfere with a alarm system

hope this helps

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Yea I just want to have my doors open and listen to the radio is all. Still want to keep all my other functions. Do you remember which wire you disconnected? So if i do the ignition switch mod I lose ALL the alarm functions?

IIRC, it was pink with a black stripe?? I'm not 100% sure, it was many years ago. But I'm pretty sure it was pink something, either pink or a pink stripe.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The door chime has saved my battery a couple of times from leaving my lights on. But I'm not sure if it works off the same wiring as the "key in the ignition" sensor

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, it was pink with a black stripe?? I'm not 100% sure, it was many years ago. But I'm pretty sure it was pink something, either pink or a pink stripe.

FWIW guyz ? On my 2K it's Black with a Pink stripe.

I just sniped it, mid stream, where it came out of the steering column, on the left side (looking up).

"Key In" dinger doesn't ding in ACC position.. all others do, in/on Start/Run. One sounds kinda sick, at times, but what the Hey.... 10 years, 160K, no issues.

Joe

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW guyz ? On my 2K it's Black with a Pink stripe.

I just sniped it, mid stream, where it came out of the steering column, on the left side (looking up).

"Key In" dinger doesn't ding.. all others do. One sounds kinda sick, at times, but what the Hey.... 10 years, 160K, no issues.

Joe

Thanks Joe;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58