Dana 50 TTB Pivot Bushing Installation?

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just finished changing out the Pivot Bushings in my Dana 50 TTB Front Axle. I ordered the Energy Suspension Bushings from Summit.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because they don't look like they're installed right. I put them in like I thought the paperwork said, but the metal shoulder on the bushings isn't seated against the inside of the axle. It hangs out of the axle about 1/4".

Does that sound right?

I looked up the installation in the archives before I installed them, and someone else had posted to put the rubber rings that come with them on the opposite side of the metal shoulder.

With the metal shoulder hanging out of the axle about 1/4", and the rubber rings being about 1/4" thick, it looks to me like they should go under the shoulder.

Which side do the rubber rings go on???

Here is a link with the bushings installed, and several members said they were installed incorrectly, but it looks like it should be to me:

Pivot Bushing Incorrect Installation???

Are the pictures in the link installed the right way or the wrong way?

If anyone knows for sure which way is the correct way, please clear this up for me.

Thanks!

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A quick update on my Pivot Bushings installation. I figured out the answer to my question!

I found out I have everything in the right place, but I didn't realize that you have to take a C-Clamp or press, and actually press the bushings into the axle up to the metal shoulder to seat the bushings (the instructions didn't say anything about this, and all the other energy bushings I've put in, just slide right in).

The instructions were basically just a parts illustration. Very poor!

I just wanted to post this in case anyone else gets confused on this installation.

After they're pressed in, the rubber rings will fit properly around the opposite side of the shoulder of the bushing.

Maybe this will help someone in the future! :sweet

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
What all was involved in the install, gotta tare the whole front end apart?

i think this may be in my future

Thanks
Neal

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dieselpwrdredneck said:
What all was involved in the install, gotta tare the whole front end apart?
No, actually, I didn't think it was too bad. If you have the right tooling, you could probably do it in a couple hours.

You have to remove both pivot bushings in the front end (I did one at a time). Then you have to remove the old bushings from the axle housing.

I used my front axle nut spindle socket, some threaded rod, and a few washers and a couple of nuts as a homemade press to pull the old bushings out.

I didn't have an impact gun, but if you have one of those, you could probably zip those things out in about 10 minutes a piece.

Next, you have to get the old bushing shells out of the axle. I used a rivet gun with an air chisel and bent the shells inwards in about three different spots, then took a small pry bar and caved those shells the rest of the way in, then knocked them out.

All that's left is pressing the new pivot bushings in with a C-Clamp or ball-joint press, and putting the bolts back in.

The hardest part is lining the bolt holes up before you put the pivot bolts back in. It will take a couple of floor jacks for manuevering the front end to get those holes lined up (a lift would really be nice for this job.)

It really wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected!

Good Luck! :burnit

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Really can't tell much difference in the ride!

It never did shimmy or vibrate or anything, but the bushings just looked like they had had it! -popcorn

ryanPSD

Living in Kallynogunforya
Reaction score
I have a set of energy suspension bushings for the pivot and springs/shackles. This is going to help a ton!! Thanks for all the info!

My OEM bushings I know are totally shot, especially the spring and shackle bushings. It looks like the bolts are sitting right up against the bushing sleeves under all the weight.

I wonder if this had anything to do with it. :oops: That was a hard landing... Already broke my old D50 out there. -popcorn

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I really hope this will all tighten up my steering too. :D It needs it bad.

Last edited:

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
ryanPSD said:
I have a set of energy suspension bushings for the pivot and springs/shackles. This is going to help a ton!! Thanks for all the info!

My OEM bushings I know are totally shot, especially the spring and shackle bushings. It looks like the bolts are sitting right up against the bushing sleeves under all the weight.

I wonder if this had anything to do with it. :oops: That was a hard landing... Already broke my old D50 out there. -popcorn

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I really hope this will all tighten up my steering too. :D It needs it bad.

My shackle bushings were worn ALL THE WAY THROUGH...like you said, sittin on the sleeves...probably picked up my front end about 1/2" - 3/4" with the poly bushings...would like to do the pivot bushing too :eek: Actually would like to just get a D60 :sweet ....yeah and wouldn't all of us OBS 3/4 ton guys!

-Casey

-Casey

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I finished pressing my pivot bushings (all the way) in yesterday.

Here are a couple of things I figured out that made it go a little easier.

Each pivot bushing has four individual polyurethane bushings in it. Remove the outer bushing on the metal shoulder side, and the outer two bushings on the opposite side of the metal shoulder, BEFORE you start to press the pivot bushing into the axle housing.

This makes it a little easier to press those bushings in, and keeps you from damaging the polyurethane at the same time.

To press them in, I used two small metal plates, and a big socket, along with a fairly big clamp. Put the socket on the side you're pressing in to, and put the plates on the outside of each side, then tighten the piss out of the clamp.

It takes quite a bit of pressure to get those bushings to go in!

After you get them pressed in, you can reinstall the inner bushings that you took out, then line everything up a put the bolts back in!

Good Luck! :burnit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58