Dana 60 conversion

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
You guys got to me this time. I have been looking around and finally have decided I need to swap out the front axle. What will I encounter when swapping? I read in a few places that grinding is needed on the motor cross member, and the front driveshaft will be too short. Will I encounter these problems? I think I am going to change the front and rear ring and pinion to 3.73 for better economy.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your truck looks to have the IFS sort of front end. I had one of those years ago and YES you will need to do some grinding in the cross member to remove the "center pivot" bracket assy. I don't know about the drive shaft, but that should not stop you, as you can drive it without the front driveshaft. Get the new axle in and then measure the length of the driveshaft.

Dave

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helped a buddy of mine do one on an 88 f250 years ago. As I remember its pretty much a dirrect swap just make shure you have everything from he donner truck.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Be sure you get the trac-bar and brackets from the donor truck. I have never heard about the driveline being too short. Other than a double cardian joint on the F-350 and a regular u-joint on the F-250 shaft I thought they were the same.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You will need to upgrade the springs if you want it to sit like a 350. The 250's are a little lower in the front.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this also. I have a 4in lift so I dont think any griding will be required on mine. I have taken the middle supports out and replaced for the lift kit. They just unbolt. Good luck with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58