dana 80 pinion yoke instal help please.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the seal on my dana 80. The front pinion seal. My question is when reinstalling the yoke do you have to use a special tool(yoke installer)
I just slid the yoke on and used the large nut to tighten it all down.These rears use spacers no crush washers if it matters. I had to do this on both my and my wifes dana 80's. Both have a clunk when going into drive. These may have been clunking before i got them I am not sure. But its a good coincidence. I am wondering is it likely that maybe they yoke did not get pressed down far enough cause i used the large nut wrather then a special tool? Anyone have experience with these?
thx please give me some imput

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I used a big socket and a pipe wrench to hold the yoke and then tightened it big time. Sounds like you are OK! The nut will take something like 300 foot pounds of torque (I don't have the book in front of me).

Dave

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats basically what i did. The srw axl is the 10.5 that has cruch washers. The larger dually dana 80 does not. I dont know if that matters. I have a clunk when going into drive or reverse then back again etc etc. Its funny that both trucks do it. I had to change seals on both. I was wondering if somehow a special tool to install the yoke fully was needed. Theres a part number for it, but i goggled and dont find much about using it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
There is, but it can be improvised cheaper, ie., the big pipe wrench.

and yes, they do take a shload of torque.

your clunk could be a couple different things.. check the end play of the u-joints between the little norbs on the yoke.

and lube the slip yoke while you have the driveshaft out.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx JL can you explain this
"check the end play of the u-joints between the little norbs on the yoke"
I did grease the slip joint, on both trucks. I did notice too much room in the yoke to the drive shaft caps. It looked as if the ujoint was about 2mm too short to fully take up all the room in the yoke. But i for now put a washer in there that made it tight and bought new u joint strap kit and tightened it well. I could see if left like this it may loosen again. But i got under with a pry bar its tight for now. I pretty much just tightened my(01) truck with just an impact gun(good snap on) Maybe i should tryto tighten it more? Its spec is like 450 foot pounds

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58