DANG! Brakes and shocks already!!!

09SuperDuty

Rockin` a F550
Reaction score
Brought the truck into the dealer for an oil change today, odometer was just a hare under 28 000 kilometers, never even considered i needed them to check the brakes already but i guess whent they had it in the air they saw rigt away that i was in need of some pads!! :eek:

now yes my truck wieghts 18k lbs everyday and i`m offroad (off pavement/hiway) probly 85% of the time or better. but i thought i`d get them checked at 40k maybe. the other thing is the rear shocks are rock beaten and damadged and they said they need to be changed. i can understand that.

i use tow haul mode every time i`m slowing down (not on emergency or sudden stops) but it won`t kick down till about 60-70km/hr, can Ford program it so it pops out of overdrive immediatley, at least at speeds under 100km/hr? i figure that would save the brakes some. and i guess i can always pull the shifter down and do it manually, i have to anyways to get it to upshift on hills so as to not loose a ton of speed (it typically downshifts at 90km/hr withmy foot on the floor, if it kicked down at 100km/hr i may be able to keep 100-110 up the hills...)

anybodys truck similairily loaded and notice this issue?

maybe a handheld tuner???

i know other trucks like mine in the company that they have done DPF deletes, but i don`t know what tuner they used....or if they have similar issues.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17398 miles is not a lot of mileage out of a set of brake shoes. Must be something causing this to happen so fast. I have 60,000 on my F-350 and 20 or more of it was pulling a 16,800 lb RV and they still look good on the front.

Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if that's a picture of your truck in your signature, I can see both..

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
What part of Canada do you live in?
I head to Saskatchewan every other year on hunting trips and from the roads I have driven on up there, I can see how shocks, brakes, tires, suspension, etc coudl wear out quickly up there. There is no smooth road up there, the winters are harsh, alot fo the roads you drive on are gravel I am assuming and......your truck is HEAVY!!!

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I don't allow 2 winters on my rear pads, and check the fronts often. I lost 2 linings on the rear pads and it ruins the disc everytime.

One time it happened in Miami on the highway at 65MPH and trailer in tow. The pad fell of the steel plate and the steel plate slipped right trough and the pistons pushed on the disc and broke, lost all the fluid in the rear and only had brakes on the front.

I was told that it must be rusting, pushing the pad off the steel support.

So now I carry spare pads and its easier then changing a damaged disc.

My Previous GM was hard on front pads to, wore on set on a trip south with the trailer in tow. 4000 miles.

09SuperDuty

Rockin` a F550
Reaction score
i just figured it was a little too soon, my 05 could go 100k on brakes, but i was a manual and was probly 2k less lbs...

oh well, i know for next time! get them checked every 3rd oil change at least!!

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have 55,000 on my 06 and my tire dealer says they're in good shape. At least 8,000 have been done pulling a 5th wheel. I would have another shop take a look, maybe the dealer is jumping the gun to sell you parts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58