Dash Disection

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a year ago, I yanked my dash to do a full blue light conversion.

I took pics, and just never put them online. until now!

http://forgotton.net/diesel/dash/index.htm

After a year, the marker I used to color the dash has faded, so I need to re-pull it and use model paint and an airbrush I think.

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
What did you do to get the green out of the cluster face? did you scratch off the color or pull something off?

E

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SDEric said:
What did you do to get the green out of the cluster face? did you scratch off the color or pull something off?

E

Fingernail polish remover and Q-tips. Lots of Q-tips.

You only want to scrub the areas that are GREEN, and none of the other areas. The green is hidden under the white diffusers (looks like a crosshatch in some places).

Its just paint and comes off. Dont use anything harsh like straight acetone, or you will melt the plastic.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing that for a while myself, just kinda put it on the backburner though

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
Looks nice. :sweet
My wife would kill me if she saw me tearing into the new truck like that though...

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you go about removing the needles? Do they just pop off? I'm doing the same thing, but in red. (Red is easier on my eyes at night.) Also, with the fingernail polish remover, does the fingernail polish remover remove the diffuser as well, or is the diffuser unaffected? Thanks.

I've been anxious to get my gauge cluster red. I converted all my switches to red. My long term plan is to "graft in" a 1996-2000 (old body style) gm cluster. I like theirs because they are actual gauges instead of glorified idiot lights. However, I prefer to make things "appear" stock, so autometer gauges/etc really aren't what I want, execpt for pyro/boost/tranny temp. So far, I have most of the wiring sorted out. I just need to figure out the tach signal, and the ford VSS (pulses per mile, etc)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14