Help Needed Dash went crazy & no power!!

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need some help here... Have not have any issues in a long time... Truck has been running fine. Yesterday, without warning, while driving...

All the dash gauges dropped to "zero" and then pegged out to the high end a few times. The indicator lights also flashed. Then every thing went back to normal except the battery light stayed on. It was running smooth, but very sluggish / no power. I got off the road and shut it down for a couple minutes. Cranked up fine and all instruments looking fine until I began to accelerate. Then it would start doing it again. Luckily I was only a few miles fro home because I pretty much had to idle it home.

Any info would be appreciated!!! :dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get your truck scanned. There are codes in there that will point to your problem. I have never seen this one.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm think'n Battery related issues ?

Clean the Battery Cables, Clamps and Posts.. REAL GOOD, then load test the Batteries... completly disconnected and isolated from eachother. Then test the Alternator for proper voltage output..

If one of the batterys is weak (?), replace them Both, with a pair of quality & correct batts (or better), that were manufactured on the same dates.

Joe

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Batts/Alternator issue.........

Tbar

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
x3

the dash went nuts because of the low voltage..

Dave is right.. get it scanned because it'll probably have low voltage codes in every module; ABS, GEM/BCM, Trans, Transfer, Theft, Keyless Entry..

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries & alternator are less than 6 months old. (Alternator went bad & found one battery weak back then & replaced them both.) Had them tested at AutoZone on the way home when this happened and all tested fine.

Maybe the biggest help would be anyone here on the far north side of Houston that could recommend a shop. I have had bad luck with the local dealer & haven't found a shop that seems PSD competent. Any suggestions??

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Check the ground wire that attaches from the body to the engine. I had the problem once and that is what it was. Fixed another car with the same problem be tightening up the connection to the engine. Worth a try.
Jim

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the ground wire that attaches from the body to the engine. I had the problem once and that is what it was. Fixed another car with the same problem be tightening up the connection to the engine. Worth a try.
Jim

Yes, and as you look around the engine bay, there are other Ground wires that could be checked too ?

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this also cause the drastic loss of power?? (no accelleration) It runs smooth, but has no power... mash the pedal & it hardly wants to accelerate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58