Dead Batts & Charging Question

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out yesterday to start the truck and it was dead :eek: :eek:

She's been sitting for 3-3.5 weeks as I've been taking the motorcycle everywhere saving on the fuel costs :doh: Could not find anything left on except a mag charger flashlight plugged into the cig lighter. Have not driving the truck much this summer but did make a couple nice high speed runs earlier to Vail and back.

Anywhoo, went and check the batteries making sure they were clean, full of water (distilled) & made sure they are clean & no grounds are loose.

Now I've got the 10 amp charger on the passenger side battery charging it at a full 10 amps.

Since I've never had to do this before I've got a question. As the truck has dual batteries (97 F250) will this charge both batts slowly but surely giving me enough juice to start the truck, or will I need to actually unhook the batts and charge em separately???

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both batts are hooked together for starting porposes. So when you charge one batt you charge them both. Same thing with your charging system on the truck. :)

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both batts are hooked together for starting porposes. So when you charge one batt you charge them both. Same thing with your charging system on the truck. :)

That's what I was ASSuming, but we both know what happens when ya ASSume something :D :D :D

Figured it could not hurt to ask :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 amps is a fairly HOT charge current....but i guess its all in
how fast you want it charged.

if youre truck sits alot consider using a battery maint. charger...
and make it an intelligent type...one that wont OVER charge (cooking
the batteries dry)...

Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs
BatteryMINDer Battery Chargers: BatteryMart.com

make sure the charger is compatiable w/ the type of batteries you
own...one charger will maintain up to 4 batteries.

I own several of the battery minders (from batterymart.com)...i havent
had to buy a motorcycle battery in more than 7yrs...and the motorcycles
get very little use <anymore> :(

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bushpilot, it's a older Sears batt charger that automatically sets the charge rate & will taper off the charge as they get full ifin I remember right.

Got it way back in the early/mid 90's living in North Dakota as we had a 92 Ford Bronco that did not like to start in the winter and have not used it since getting this truck new in 97 :D :D :D

The current batteries are interstate & were installed new Sept of 03.

Truck sits when the weather is warm enough to ride the motorcycle, but I guess sitting for 3-4 weeks was to long and she needs driven every week or so.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score

You are due for a new set..........if you continue to have problems maintaining a charge after driving it do yourself a favor and get them replaced.

Tbar

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are due for a new set..........if you continue to have problems maintaining a charge after driving it do yourself a favor and get them replaced.

Tbar

Got almost 6 years on the last set, should get almost 6 years on this set ;) ;) ;)

Went out and fired her right up without a problem and now I'm letting the AIC charge em up :thumbs :thumbs

Will see how things play out and if I keep having problems then it's time for a new set.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a good idea would be rather than hooking your batt charger up to the truck every time it goes dead is get a small low amp solar powered charger. They are fairly cheap and they don't use any unnecessary energy. Then the batterys in your rig will be charged always.:sweet

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bushpilot, it's a older Sears batt charger that automatically sets the charge rate & will taper off the charge as they get full ifin I remember right.

Got it way back in the early/mid 90's living in North Dakota as we had a 92 Ford Bronco that did not like to start in the winter and have not used it since getting this truck new in 97 :D :D :D

Truck sits when the weather is warm enough to ride the motorcycle, but I guess sitting for 3-4 weeks was to long and she needs driven every week or so.

if its charging more than 1amp OR if its NOT A REAL intelligent battery
maintainer then it WILL ruin the battery....even a "traditional" trickle
charger will cook a battery dry and over charge it in short order.

What a good idea would be rather than hooking your batt charger up to the truck every time it goes dead is get a small low amp solar powered charger. They are fairly cheap and they don't use any unnecessary energy. Then the batterys in your rig will be charged always.:sweet

in theory this is a good idea...but again it should be an intelligent
maintainer...measuring the charge of the battery and charging ONLY
when necessary...and at VERY VERY low rates.

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the truck's been sitting for the last week & this AM it was raining so I figured it was not a good day to take the daughter to school on the motorcycle so I tried starting the truck.

She fired right up after sitting for 7 days, figure it must have been the mag charger flashlight that was plugged in slowly drained the batteries to the point they would not turn over the PSD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg