Help Needed Dead? or just sick

wcsmithiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an '04 250 Super Duty have had some problems but still damn good truck. Got it out of the shop 1 Sep here it is 6 Sep and its down again. Last time had to replace the FICM ($$$$$$) ran good till today. Went to start it and all I got was clicks. check of batteries showed 11v, idiot lights and gauges all worked. Jumped it off with the old 626 and runs real smooth. Start down the road to join our son for dinner and all gauges died and the ABS light came on, still running good. Back to the house and break out the VOM before shutting down, both batteries showing 9.5v [engine still running]. Gauges still dead. Come in and check the forum for like problems, several pointing to batteries so I go out and turn on the ignition---gauges all moved, idiot lights functioned as designed batteries showing11.6v. To late to get to a shop or parts place----any suggestions? I'll be pulling the batteries for test first thing in the a.m.. Thanks for any assistance.:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your alternator is not charging, or else you would see 12.6 v + on the terminals. Alternator is dead. How many miles on the truck and when was the last time that you replaced the batteries?

Dave

wcsmithiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We bought the truck in Sep 06 with just under 100K, it now has 151K. I do not know about the age of the batteries. I do appreciate your assistance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Almost dead batteries would read 12 + volts while the engine is running, if the alternator is good. If not, then the alternator needs to be tested, and replaced if necessary. Good luck.

Dave

wcsmithiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ben & Roy. The job took all day but at least it didn't cost an arm and a leg. The regulator inside the alternator was bad. The individual that repaired my alternator showed me the old one---one brush had worn down to the point it was not making contact. Batteries are as good as ever. Neither one of you told me how much of a PITA it was going to be. Any idea where I can locate pictures of how to reach the tension release for the serpentine belt? I know I'll have to go there again; just don't know how soon. I can't even see the hole to put the tool into. Don't mean to be so long winded but I am tired of paying through the nose, besides--I do enjoy a challenge.
Thanks,
Bill
I believe we can close this one.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my Ex. Had to replace the alt, and 2 remans..... they traded out the reman for a new one since there was a price change and the new was cheaper than the reman.

The easiet way I found to change the alternator. Remove the small shroud off the top of the main fan shroud, just behind the PowerStroke Decal. This will curve down toward the passenger side of the truck. Loosen the bolts holding the alt to the mount... and grab the belt, ease the alt down to ease the tension off the belt, take a bungee cord and hold the belt to the hood. Get the replacement and ease it back under the belt and reinstall the bolts..... To get the belt back on the pulleys if it comes off it can take 30 + minutes to get it back on, and to replace the belt you have to cut the fan shroud at the pre-molded cuts and remove the shroud to replace the belt.... and then bolt the shroud back together....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58