toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here...

toobsluver

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh well it looks like I found the problem and this was what I was worried about. Apparently my Excursion is a "California Vehicle" I had this same issue with a glow plug relay issue I had some time ago and wondered why my relay was different than most peoples truck. Well I live in NJ not in California and I sure as hell am not buying a $500 sending unit!

Look here:

List: Fuel Sending Unit/Switch - 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty | O'Reilly Auto Parts

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has become a PITA, I wonder if I can change it over to the standard fuel tank sending unit in the Hutch mod. According to O'Reilly's my sending unit has a pump in it. I'm so confused as what to do now.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never seen one like yours.. so I can't help. But.. while you've got the tank down.. the Harpoon* mod would be a REAL good thing to do right now, too ??

Joe

(* cutting the vent tube off short.. inside the tank)

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vent tube is already short. I felt inside the tank and it is only a half inch long or so. The fill neck goes in about 12 inches.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vent tube is already short. I felt inside the tank and it is only a half inch long or so. The fill neck goes in about 12 inches.

Maybe a PO had already done some tank mods ?

Looking at your pickup assembly (with pump), maybe you don't need to do the Hutch Mod ? I don't see the fittings and configuration, that can cause the air in the fuel issues. :dunno

Joe

infoleather

Greenhand
Reaction score
I do not match, I feel as if it were connected to the bottom of the tank, because I can not pull it out.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has become a PITA, I wonder if I can change it over to the standard fuel tank sending unit in the Hutch mod. According to O'Reilly's my sending unit has a pump in it. I'm so confused as what to do now.

your picture seems to show a pump alright. You never mentioned that your fuel fill gauge is bad, so you don't need a new pickup...but maybe a (in-tank) pump? Have you checked the unit carefully for line pinches, clogged pickup openings, etc? Maybe something is occasionally plugging up the intake?

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update and funny going through all threads that I have started over the years about this on going issue up until recently when my truck was really dying!

It started here in 2009:

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...ine-drivetrain/23813-rough-idle-no-power.html

Then in late 2011, I thought it was my tranny here (Thank GOD I didn't put out 6 G's for a trans just for my truck to have the same issues):
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...ine-drivetrain/28507-my-trans-failing-me.html

When it came down to it it was just the intank fuel pump/pickup was shot and clogged. Now I know the crazy thing is no one has seen this type of pick up in a diesel truck before. Gas, yes. But not a diesel. I have some more detailed information here:

UGH!!! Hutch mod issues in my X... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I hope that this helps someone else down the road if they pull their tank to do the Hutch Mod or Harpoon mod and end up finding what I found. All the dates match up on the pick up in the tank, on the cap of the pickup, and the date code on the door. All 3/2000! This was a stock setup from what I could tell and I don't think someone would put a "gas" tank in a "diesel" truck.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg