Deep Cycle Batteries

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Im sure this has been asked a million times, but what are your reccomendations for replacement batteries.

I have been talked out of Optima's due to warranty up here in canada, and I heard that the vibration of the diesel is not good for them. I do a lot of work on my laptop running off of an inverter (which toasted my first pair and alternator). I was thinking of a deep cycle battery, but my trusty ford mechanic said they were not good for the starting of a diesel.

I have also heard that the deep cycles are fine.

So...... Anyone's input would be muchly appreciated.:hail

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A deep cyycle battery isn't designed for a huge initial discharge like starting an engine. They are made for constant discharge overa period of time.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ditto what Kieth said, just go and get yourself a set of Motorcrafts from Ford.

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A deep cyycle battery isn't designed for a huge initial discharge like starting an engine. They are made for constant discharge overa period of time.

What do they do with RV's then??? I need power to run my accessories. I don't want to go back to a stock option only to toast another set of batteries and alternator.?????

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
What do they do with RV's then??? I need power to run my accessories. I don't want to go back to a stock option only to toast another set of batteries and alternator.?????

On RVs, they have generators that run all the accessories and charge the batteries. I don't know that just a laptop would toast your alternator.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a laptop on a inverter quite a bet.
I had to put new battery in my truck two weeks ago and I went back with the Motorcrafts from Ford.
I have always been told that the M/C will hold up better on the Diesels. They were also cheaper at the Ford dealer here.

altaford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On my 7.3 the MC factory batt's lasted about 45,000km's. Was working and no time, so picked up a set of Delco's from a little shop on the hwy. They lasted til about 240,000 km's. Mind you, there was no inverter usage, but they did run my stereo that whole time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58