Deeper Tranny Pans????

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Which one would you rather have? I noticed my OEM has some indentions in it and I have been wanting to replace it anyways.

PML Deeper Tranny Pan from ITP Diesel OR

a Maghytec pan? (Everybody has them, but they are around 135.00 more.)

I think the PML would work just fine. Do any members have one?
0000alittlefeedback.gif

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC Brian (of BTS) doesn't recommend a deep pan since it is just that much more fluid to cool. You'd probably be better off getting a more efficient cooler than a deep pan, judging by Brian's reasoning.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama, I don't have the tranny pan you are looking at mine is an aftermarket steel pan w/ cooling tubes. (derale #14108) It holds an extra 3 quarts of fluid. I installed my aftermarket cooler w/fan first and that's where I noticed the biggest drop in tranny temps. The aftermarket pan helped my temps drop a little bit more (maybe 10*) but not as much as I had expected.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
thanks patrick for the info. the PML holds an extra 4.5. since mine is a 5R110, is the tranny cooler not sufficient enuff to cool an that extra amount?

If the OEM is sufficient enought, I would just keep it on.

I dont tow with my truck anymore, I dont do HI 4wd launches anymore, just thought it might be a good upgrade to do to keep the tranny doing good no matter what.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine I am still running the factory cooler along with the aftermarket cooler. Since your factory cooler is alot bigger than my stocker I don't think you would have any problems cooling the extra fluid.

I didn't really need the additional cooler but glad I did. The electric fan really brings the temp down alot quicker on those hot summer days.

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
I have the PML pan. It's the best cause it doesnt retain the heat like powder coated ones. And my temp has never gone above 160'F

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
I would invest into a upgraded cooler before a pan, if Brian doesn't recommened them, I ain't going to spend the $$$$ ;)

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
One of my friends that works at the ford dealer here in town, told me that the 6.0 tranny cooler is more than able to cool the extra 4.5 qts. Haven't completely made up my mind yet.

since I dont tow anymore, I may just save my money.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a Maghytec pan? (Everybody has them, but they are around 135.00 more.)

Last time I talked to the guys at Diesel Innovations they were saying that guys were coming back with these pans because they were leaking really bad. Just some info for you Bama. Been looking at Pan but also looking at better Trans Cooler.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58