Deer hunters

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After my stuff got stolen, I came up with an idea. I have a tree about 30ft from my garage door I could hide a camera in. No wires or having a really expensive alarm camera installed.

I have never used a deer/wildlife camera before and wanted some input as in the best one that would shoot a clear shot ( people identifiable) that far away and what brand you guys recommend.

Thanks, John

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use one at my shop out back. It takes photos only if somethimg is moving in front of it.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with any digital camera (I would guess you're looking for a digital version) look at the megapixel capacity of the camera. Some of the cheaper ones are very low, think worse than a cell phone camera. Honestly I haven't looked at them in the past several years. So I can't say which ones are worth a flip today. Last one I used ran on the 6V lantern batteries and it ate that sucker in less than a week. so I had 2 rechargeable ones that I swapped out whenever I went to pull the memory card.

In selecting your camera some things to consider.

Flash - will give away the camera and draw the thief to steal the camera.
Delay between shots- you'll need multiple shots so you don't just get their back.
IR - will help keep you from getting shots of rain, falling tree limbs, or blowing grass.

You may want to consider wireless security cameras that will record video to a remote computer when motion is sensed.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and here's a thread on pirate discussing wireless security cameras

Looking to catch crooks along the same lines though some other threads I've read on various boards indicate that some of the IR cameras are not worth it you'll need motion activated lights to get a reasonable picture.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some blinking, Mini LEDs, here & there.. along with signage saying.. "Under Video Surveillance", or "Alarm Is Set" (whether it is.. or not;)) can help too.

On my Shed ? I installed a wall type Phone jack on each door.. with a short, RED phone cord connecting the two... a sign (stenciled) saying: ALARM IS SET... and a motion activated, flood light.

We've never been Ripped Off... But maybe thats why :dunno

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58