Defueling?

team_penin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 f-350,w/standard tranny and no mods(friends truck) He was pulling a pretty good load yesterday and about 2500 rpm it acted like it was defueling. Just lost all power in 4th gear. Could this be something with MAP sensor or somethin else

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
What was his boost at the time? Defueling occurs around 25 + a couple psi. If that's the case, a boost regulator should help.

Another possiblity based on my past experiences: Does he have an in-cab fuel pressure gauge? I used to have a problem with no "top-end" power. I put in an IN-CAB FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE (mechanical w/ pressure isolater). When I turned the key on, the pressure would slowly build to about 40 psi and after several minutes build to about 50 psi. When towing down the road at cruise the fuel pressure was about 40 and would drop to close to 20 when I floored it. None of this jived with what I had heard how a healthy fuel pump should performe. All of this was with the FPR already shimmed.

I replaced the fuel pump and the pressure immediately shot to 100psi on the gauge. I took the FPR apart, replaced the innards, removed the FPR shims and the pressure was then about 55. Now it would only drop off a bit, but no less than 50psi on the highway. I shimmed the FPR again to 65 at idle and it stays above 60 at full throttle. The "top-end" power was noticeably better.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to figure that one. Lots of variables. Fuel filter, air filter....:dunno

team_penin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has no gauges at all, truck is completly stock. So therfore I have no idea what the boost was.

I am going to check all filters and oil level tonight, I will probably hook a fuel guage up aswell.

I just thought someone might have had this happen before and might give me some other stiff to check out.

Oh yeah I will also scan for codes tonight

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Did he blow an intercooler boot off???

Tbar

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the top end power return or is it still lacking up top...........

If it didn't return to normal, then I'd look at intake and intercooler coupling boots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14