degas leaking, not again!

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had head gaskets with studs done about a year and a half ago. Now the I am getting leaks at the degas cap again. Changed the cap with little change. It is a small leak most of the time. I can't seem to make it any worse by working it harder, but it does seem to get better and worse all by itself.

I took it to the Ford dealer, and they say it needs gaskets or worse considering it has head studs. This is based mainly on the fact that the coolant pressure is getting above 16.5. They had also done oil sampling, but tell me that came back normal for a truck with 180k on it

I took it to another shop for 2nd opinion and they say it is likely a partially clogged radiator causing some inconsistent heat levels in the cooling system. (this is the shot that did the head gasket/studs/oil cooler

At the same time I have others telling me I probably have a cracked or warped head.

The the EGR valve itself has been in for aprox 150k, and noted by the techs as being slow moving. Could that be playing a part?

1)What are your thoughts?
2)Where do I get the test strips to test for exhaust in the coolant?

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have posted to late today, but 2 or 3 of the guys will be by in the AM to help you out.
Good Luck.
Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58