Delete or replace EGR Cooler

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ive decided its time to do one or the other. I am having to put about a gallon of water in every 200-300 miles. I cant decide if I want to just delete the cooler or replace it. Ive talked with some people who say that the engined was designed to have the cooler in there and the best thing to do is to replace the cooler. If it serves no purpose but to apease the liberal environmentalist then why not delete it. I do not live where that I have to have a smog inspection. What are your thoughts and what have you done or what will you do if you have to make the same decision?

Where would you buy?

I am also going to replace the oil cooler. (this is a must)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a bulletproof cooler in mine. (bulletproofdiesel.com) They are way cheaper now than when i bought mine. I guess the only reason i did that vs. a delete kit was to avoid a check engine light. There's nothing that drives me crazier than a check engine light. I would change the oil cooler like you said and make sure to update the hpop strainer while you have the oil cooler out. My hpop strainer was days or maybe weeks from falling apart.

I saw some delete kits advertised that can be installed without removing the intake manifold. If that is true it might be something to look at. No idea how they get the old cooler out.... sawzall?? You also wouldnt be able to do the oil cooler that way, but not all engines have oil cooler issues either I guess. Just a thought, it would save you a couple hundred in parts and about half a days labor. Just spitballing here....

Last edited:

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am going through the same problem myself, I am going the MKM Customs upgraded cooler route. In CT. We have smog testing and I don't want the headache of having to put back in if I get pinched. The upgraded cooler looks much better than stock and I also run an elc with a coolant bypass filter. So hopefully I will get years of service out of it!!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have inspections, DELETE it! What is better for your engine, fresh air, or sooty exhaust?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have inspections, DELETE it! What is better for your engine, fresh air, or sooty exhaust?

I like your thinking on the fresh air in lieu of the sooty exhaust. I dont want to buy a programmer to turn the CEL off. My truck was constructed 11/03 so it is suppose to have the rectangular cooler instead of the round one. I cranked the truck to drive it into my shop and it ran smooth after about 30 seconds. I havent checked the FICM yet to see if it is going out as well but stiction could have been a small problem for me as i was blowing some black smoke when first cranked.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I vote to delete the cooler and EGR. I would have done it years ago, but I can't. The FICM will give you problems at start up. If it cranks great and starts, the FICM is probably not a problem.

Dave

DarinB

Fish Hunter Esq.
Reaction score
Out here in California, we have inspections on the Diesels so I ended up putting in a Bulletproof EGR cooler.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I started the tear down today. I havent ordered the parts yet as I wanted to make sure of rectangular or round if I decide to keep the EGR. I really want to delete it but worry of resale if I decide to sell it to someone who may be in a smog testing state. I have hit a stickler as I cannot figure out how to get he 2 rear turbo bolts broken lose and out. Also I cannot find any instructions on what to do to remove and replace the oil cooler. Anyone have instructions they would email me on the oil cooler? I am also going to add the coolant filter for sure.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to some service manual pages-
Oil cooler:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/at...ooler-replacement-6.0l-oil-cooler-removal.pdf

Intake manifold:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/at...l-cooler-replacement-6.0l-intake-manifold.pdf

The oil cooler you get will likely be all together with a cover like in the service manual, but they also had the option for just a replacement element. The worst part for me was the turbo piping and clamps, getting it all lined up and leak free. The bolts that held the turbo to the pedestal on mine had rattled out and were laying near the oil cooler, so I cant give any tips on that. I know they are hard to get a wrench on and if they were frozen i could see them being tough. When I did mine I took out the radiator and fan so i could stand on the front axle and work more easily. Good luck!

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started on it again today but deceided that I would just wait on the mechanic to come Saturday evening to work on it. I believe I am going to order the Sinister Basic Solutions kit with the Coolant Filter. I wish I could have boiled the coolant system out before it started not wanting to run properly.

Whats the best way to clean out the coolant system now that I will have a new oil cooler in there when I start the cleaning process?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58