Denver Smog test ????

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to dawn a suit and move to Denver as the next step of my career path.

The first question out of my mouth was "don’t they have emission testing?" Followed by, "CRAP".

I hated testing in Ohio after a high school dropout working the rollers smoked my 3000GT when he tied the trap to a tie rod and it let loose at 55mph and hit a support pillar

After being asked to move i went looking for the standards and locations. My first concern is my 300c SRT8 that has a built 426 stroker with a vortech pushing 15psi making over 700rwhp. this car still has all the emission stuff working but i can't find if a blower is even allowed unless it came on the car. Next is our new 04 powerstroke, it’s in FL getting ready to pull the boat by having head studs, EGR delete and custom tunes. Now I know an EGR delete is a no-no but will they even know? I can hardly see the darn thing and I’m looking for it (guess they will be too). I may have to put a bullet proof EGR cooler in.

Anyone know if an aftermarket Supercharger or tuner will fail you and what is required of diesel motors in the Denver metro area?

Thanks

Last edited:

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Denver still do emissions on gas engines? A few miles south in El Paso County, they are only doing emissions on diesel engines.

As far as the EGR goes, is it a dummy unit or a plate? If they look for one and don't see it, you are going to fail the test.

When I have my emissions test done, I just set the tuning back to stock.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Where in Wyoming are you currently? Can you get away with the Cheyenne to Denver commute?

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm north of Gillette right now but when we move Cheyenne will still be to far. our office is down town Denver. So Evans Co would be as far as i would like to travel.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves me right the emissions test on a diesel in the Denver area is only an opacity test, an expensive one but no sniffers, so mods and EGR deletes are still good to go however you just need to have a programmable setup so you can configure the setup to not smoke under the given test conditions. you can read the regulations here

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah we have been in denver all week looking around and afriend had to have his tested. he smoked the place and they still past him. never even looked at the truck. BUT, this was after another placed gave him 3 fails for cat, EGR and smoke. Both places siad the deleted DPF was ok since the truck didnt have it listed from the factory even though it came with one (08 6.4 F350)everyone we talk to say Diesel is hit or miss but you can always find a passing grade somewhere. They all say gas engines are a bit harder since they are all inspected by the state locations.

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got word that denver has changed to houston so smog is not so much of a worry anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg