Diagnoses

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, help me diagnose a problem. I have been having this issue for a while now and I had written it off as needing a reflash. The issue is the engine missing at startup and lasting until the engine warmed up. I was told to get the latest reflash that did something to the injectors in that it heated the injectors or something like that. Anyway, I had the reflash done but nothing had changed. I am now experiencing longer times even after warm up before the engine settles down. After the engine warms up she does fine. She use to settle down at exactly the first line after the C on the temp gauge and now she last until the gauge reaches normal. What do I look for? Anyone have this problem before? Oh yeah, I had the sensor replaced that sets behind/under the turbo that regulates the pressure of the injector oil (ICP IPR?) I ran the truck for a while with this sensor leaking before I knew what it was, could this have hurt something?

Thanks
Scott

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
whats the status of your egr system? still intact and working, or disabled?

im not a 6.0 guy, but on other engines egr would be the first place i would be looking, followed by temp sensor readings.

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EGR System is still intact but I do plan on bypassing it soon. I know there was a kit out that deleted the whole system but I can't seem to find it. I haven't checked the temp sensor but if someone could tell me where it is I will replace it just to eliminate it from the equation.

Scott

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to clean the valve every time I change the fuel filters but I haven't checked the coolant level. This has been this way for at least a year and it is getting worse. I do have the dreaded puking issue while towing heavy, could there be a head gasket problem?

Scott

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I would guess egr valve also, but yes, there could be head gasket problem and may or may not be related to your original concern. Are you out of warranty? Also are you aware that the coolant level in the degass bottle should be kept at the min.level,not the max.?

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the reflash. If the dealer did indeed do the reflash, wouldn't it have changed the strategy code? The reason I am asking is because I have the same strategy as before the reflash.

Scott

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

I still have no idea what my problem is as of yet but I have ruled out something. I have an SCT programmer with custom tunes and I had the EGR valve eliminated in the program as well as unplugged the EGR. I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it and made sure it was closed. I still have the problem so it shouldn't be the valve. I also forgot to mention in my previous post that the truck will run fine each and every time regardless of outside temp as long as I plug her in and keep the engine warm. As soon as I let the truck set for 4-5 hours unplugged she will develop the problem. The local dealer said that the reflash may not have taken and I am returning next week to double check. He also said that I may have an injector going bad but he wouldn't make that call until he found out if the reflash took. Does this info help anyone to give an educated guess?

Thanks
Scott

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I really hate BS stealership mechanics... "wouldn't make the call until he found out if the reflash took"?? What did he do, plug it into the cigarette lighter? What crap. If it didn't take it would have errored out on the crc check, and secondly it wouldn't run either. It's not like it has to "think" about it.

Much like Johnny 5 "it doesn't get happy, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs"

I would consider looking at a different dealership. At $100 a pop for you to go back and hope and pray they did their job right is an atrocity.

Done with the rant, but here's my thoughts...

EGR might be closed, but the cooler might be cracked or otherwise shot. That might account for your puking, and perhaps this as well. Also, have they done a pressure test on the system to see if it holds pressure? That would rule out gaskets. I would think the cylinder contribution test would be able to get a decent view of what's going on if it's an injector.

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I don't understand about the EGR. I do have it shut, unplugged, and eliminated by the SCT. Should it not be shut? Also, how would the EGR Cooler being shot cause the symptoms I am having? Does it allow water into the cylinders? Please educate me so I can save the money that I am giving the Stealership and fix it myself.

Thanks
Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg