Did I make a bad Choice?

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
In my sig it says I got my DP Tuner chip ( 4 pos ). Well I've been readin alot lately of folks goin with the 120hp as highest setting. Well I have the 140 with pretty much basic mods done. Did I do a bad thing for lack of better words? Would it be a good idea to have it reflashed to the 120? Thanks for any insight. ( Probably just worried over nothin' ) :dunno

Max Power

Reaction score
Even 120hp is a lot for a stock transmission. You have guages which is a big part of the battle. I suppose as long as you are prepared to rebuild the transmission when you take it out.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
With a stock turbo and stock injectors you wont produce the full 140 hp anyways. So did you do a bad thing? Probably not but you might still torch your tranny if you cant control your right foot.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Just like all other makes the tranny is the weakest link in these trucks.

Like 95_Stroker said without bigger injectors you would never realize the full potential of the stronger tune.

So "did you do a bad thing"? Nope, just prolonged the inevitable a littler longer.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As has been said... you will never realize the full effect without more modding...

Are you an early 99 or later..? I have a DI 4 setting chip with 120hp as the top... but you can't drive with it on that setting very much... it smokes like a freight train...

What kind of temps are you getting with the 140... I have to let off pretty quickly when entering the freeway and it set to 120... I used to hit 1300-1400 before the end of the ramp... Gutting the EBPV helped the temps so I can keep my foot in it longer..

The one thing I did to my truck that I feel was the best thing I could have ever done was the Shift kit for the tranny... soft slushy shifts are a thing of the past... I am still going strong with 130,000 ... and I had a 80hp Superchip in at 53,000 and upgraded to the DI chip at 85,000... I run it on the 100hp setting all the time, unless pulling... then it heats up to much...

But back to your original post... I don't see how you could drive around with it in the 140hp setting all the time anyways... if its like mine it smokes to much ... I only use the 120 setting for tailgaters, ricers and showing off.

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Right thats the main reason why I got it. Probably tool around in the 80 hp setting. I do have the sonnax/tricrim as well. But as far as temps go, don't know hope to have gauges in next week....then put chip in. Its an early 99 too. Thanks guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim