Died...Chip related

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Just returned from a 1200 mile trip through CO and NM.

On a steep grade just outside Los Alamos, NM on State Rte. 4 at about 10 pm after about 900 miles of our trip, the engine died. No SES light. Put the clutch in and released a couple times with no luck. No one else on the road, I pulled the key then pulled the chip(access hole cut in box.) Turned starter over and it fired. :dunno Pulled over at a parking area and reinstalled chip to have it happen again later on a downhill where I repeated the steps above without the use of the starter. :eek:

Checked oil level and was half quart above add, I added a little. Reinstalled the chip for the drive home from NM with no problems.

Any ideas?

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
Be real careful.

I have heard of loose chips frying PCM's several times.

Tom

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I thought it seemed kinda of loose when I pulled it but seemed about the same when I reinstalled this am :confused: . Checked again when I got home to see if temperature made a difference but didn't. I DO keep it taped in.

Is the PCM supposed to run warm? I've never felt the temp of the box when using my programmer. I've heard of chips in Turbo Buicks making the computers run hot.

If it is a loose chip is there anyway of fixing it?

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never had a physical chip on a vehicle...
but back in the old days of building MANY pc's...
would occasionaly have to GENTLY bend some pins on the cpu's to swap them out....
too many bends and it fatigues the metal, so know what ya wanna do and do it once to open them up every so slightly :)

Maybe time for a new chip ? or better yet a programmer !!!!
They's much betta nowdays and much cheaper :)

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
Just returned from a 1200 mile trip through CO and NM.

On a steep grade just outside Los Alamos, NM on State Rte. 4 at about 10 pm after about 900 miles of our trip, the engine died. No SES light. Put the clutch in and released a couple times with no luck. No one else on the road, I pulled the key then pulled the chip(access hole cut in box.) Turned starter over and it fired. :dunno Pulled over at a parking area and reinstalled chip to have it happen again later on a downhill where I repeated the steps above without the use of the starter. :eek:

Checked oil level and was half quart above add, I added a little. Reinstalled the chip for the drive home from NM with no problems.

Any ideas?

Similar to my problems...ended up having to replace the PCM power relay...not sure if I can reinstall my chip now, once bitten and all that.

good luck

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
JohnBoytoo,

I have an Edge Evolution that's been the quickest at the track for me but smokes too much when I shift for daily driving. The chip smokes less and has smooother power at the flip of a switch! :thumbs

RazzyB,

So you aren't running your DI chip anymore?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim