Died driving down the road...Won't start

jpxj94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just cruising down the road at about 45 and My early 99 f250 just died like you turned the key off. It was running perfectly before no problems. I get no wait to start light now when you turn the ignition on. I checked the fuses did find anything bad except the #28 maxi fuse for the trailer brakes. I put a new cps about 2 months ago. So I am lost please help.

jpxj94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry early 99 w/7.3 bully dog chip a buddy tried to download a edge programer on my truck earlier that evening but it kept getting a error so it didn't download.
but everything was fine afterward. Any suggestions on what to check?

smokin_stroker00

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a problem on my 2000 that has a 3 stage chip the connection either comes loose or gets a bad connection and will start shutting down going down the road. I switch to stock and runs fine until I can wiggle the connection

jpxj94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Found the problem. I must have bumped the chip. I wiggled it and it started right up but if you touch it the truck dies. Thanks smokin stroker

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
jpxj94 said:
Found the problem. I must have bumped the chip. I wiggled it and it started right up but if you touch it the truck dies. Thanks smokin stroker

That is very, very bad. You need to get that chip secured in place with some duct tape ASAP or your going to be buying a pcm in very short order.

Tbar

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Tbar said:
That is very, very bad. You need to get that chip secured in place with some duct tape ASAP or your going to be buying a pcm in very short order.

Tbar

:eek: :eek:

What he said! You DO NOT want to touch the chip while the keys are in the ignition, even if it's not running! Get some duct tape on it and you may want to have the contacts on the PCM retinned.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
:eek: :eek:

What he said! You DO NOT want to touch the chip while the keys are in the ignition, even if it's not running! Get some duct tape on it and you may want to have the contacts on the PCM retinned.
I THIRD the motion!!! DO NOT touch the chip while the engine is running. How you managed to have a chip come loose while the engine is running without frying your PCM I'll never be able to say, but I wouldn't tempt fate if I were you!!! Get that puppy secured however you can...

You're a lucky guy, and I'm VERY glad that you dodged that bullet. A new PCM is like 800 bucks!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14