diesel algae

LAF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi, I work on a harbor tug with 2 2000hp EMD engines when we go into the shipyard our feul tanks are coated with an algae like substance from the diesel, a mechanic buddy of mine says that diesel will do that in a passenger truck also. He reccomended an additive for it but im not to sure about putting it in my truck. Any thoughts out there on this?

Reaction score
LAF250 said:
Hi, I work on a harbor tug with 2 2000hp EMD engines when we go into the shipyard our feul tanks are coated with an algae like substance from the diesel, a mechanic buddy of mine says that diesel will do that in a passenger truck also. He reccomended an additive for it but im not to sure about putting it in my truck. Any thoughts out there on this?

I run an additive in my truck. I give it a treatment every 3 months or so. Racor Biocide is the name of the stuff - I got it from Diesel Injection Service

The one bottle will last you a long time - it's basically an insecticide.

Ron

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I've been running 4 + years with out using it and probably won't unless I need it. If you use your truck and put a few mile on it, and purchase fuel from a dealer that goes through a lot of it and keeps turning over his stock, you should not need it either.
Water in the fuel is what causes the algae to grow. Take all precautions against intrusion of water and it will not be a problem.
Jim

Reaction score
LAF250 said:

If you have a problem the RACOR Biocide is what you need to clear it up. Unfortunately one can not always pick and choose where to get fuel out on the road and there is a good chance that you can get a case of "the bugs" from a fuel stop. Standine Performance Formula is a good additive as it prevents alga growth, acts as a cetane improver and is a lubricant for the injectors too. I had to use the Racor Biocide when I first got my truck, went through several fuel filters too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58